LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 03-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #1
big_e
New User

Default 1913 Erfurt Magazine Fit

I have just bought a 1913 Erfurt Luger which came with a WWII magazine.
I haven't been able to take the pistol to range yet but while cycling the action with snap caps I noticed it would jam ejecting the cartridges.
However when I applied pressure to the bottom of the magazine it would eject them without an issue.
Looking at the magazine fit I can see there is quite a difference in the height between the normal fitting and pushing the magazine full up.

If you can advise on the correct seating for the magazine and if it is to low whats the best solution to fix this.

Normal fitting

Magazine push fully home

big_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2015, 09:00 PM   #2
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,001 Posts
Default pretty much toast!

Hello big-e and welcome to the forum! !! The main issues with your magazine as can be seen in the pictures, is the crack in the LH rear feed-lip, and the overall lack of form on the feed-lips themselves... The extra drop down space is not unusual, and in and of it's self, usually, not an issue.... You need a new MEC-GAR for shooting! Best to you, til...lat'r....GT
BTW, with a long flat nosed pliers, you can correct much of the feed lip deformation, the crack is the killer! .... I've done a few hundred of them....
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 03-21-2015, 05:51 PM   #3
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

You want to listen to what this GT fella says about mags as he is the resident " Luger mag man". He has done a "ton" of Luger mags, along with other Luger repairs, and can get them fixed and functional if anyone can. We feel very lucky to have him here.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,001 Posts
Default extraction & ejection issues...

Hi Doc, and hi again big_e, Thanks for the kind words doc, I shall try to live up to the kindness shown here! In looking at the pictures I was quick to point out what I saw as mag issues... they still remain, but in reading the text, I see big_e has correlated the ejection malfunctions to the magazine position?? So, we are comparing apples and oranges type of problems right now... First, we need to go to the range with good quality ammo to do our trouble shooting? Second, ditch the snap caps.... they mimic nothing in a troubled Luger function issue... The gun should properly extract & eject with no magazine in the gun... In a gun that doesn't clear the breech area with an empty, I would suspect a week extractor spring, crud under the extractor nose, or a chipped or broken extractor... Then we need to next go to the ejector, is it strong and positive, or weak and loose??? Third is the recoil pulse itself, is the toggle assembly acting with enough force, energy, and distance to make all function as it should.... The mag has problems to be sure, but they, in and of themselves, shouldn't have any effect on extraction and ejection! Best to al, til...lat'r....GT

Last edited by G.T.; 03-22-2015 at 12:21 PM.
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote