LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 02-05-2003, 03:45 PM   #1
trigger643
User

Red face 1900 American Eagle out of the attic

A friend asked me to come over last night. He and his wife have been helping his mother-in-law's next door neighbor clean out a house on her way to a nursing home and "Glen, you like those old guns, are you interested in this?"

A 1900 American Eagle. Pistol was disassembled and parts stored in various places in the home during the 1940's because of children running around. My friend and his wife spent the weekend discovering parts of this pistol in various places in the attic as they were clearing out the home.

Forgotten or just neglected until this month (60 years or so -- she has been widowed since the early '50s and it was her husband's weapon). They did not find the Magazine and Take Down Lever, otherwise appears complete. Finish is about 75% original blue and 30% straw, no pitting, some areas turning grey (strap), a few minute spidering rust freckles here and there, otherwise appears well stored with minor high edge wear. I was able to spend about 2 minutes on the pistol (well, I didn't want to appear THAT excited). I am very critical on rating weapons, as any who have done business with me will attest. If the missing parts were present, I would rate this weapon "NRA Fine", without parts, of course, this is "NRA Poor".

I am not that interested in early Lugers, prefering instead Prewar Mauser examples and early Erferts. I am, however, somewhat interested in having an early representative example. I will have this weapon in my possession tomorrow night, with the charge of selling it.

However, I am interested in it for myself to a slight degree. Sell it, keep it. I am neither for nor against either proposal. However, I am interested in who might have the take down lever and magazine, as those parts will most certainly put this piece were it belongs. I am not a scrounger and am only frustrated with the hunt, not enticed by it.

Alternately, I am making notice here that this piece is coming up. I should have pictures available in a zip file before the end of the weekend for those that may be interested in helping, acquiring or curious. my email address is Gcrookston@aol.com

Here, I am asking advice, soliciting interest and requesting assistance.

Glen

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2003, 04:06 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts
Hello Glen, haven't been down to Bossier Parish, in Lord knows how long! I am sure i must have driven in that area at some point!

Anyway, in the Luger collecting field (and forgive me if I say something obvious), but with missing mumbered parts, brings the price way down. And condition is everything, but any â??missingâ? numbered pieces almost always brings it from the collector status to â??shooterâ? status. Shooters (and I hate the term, would prefer low-end collector status), guns go for $400 - $600. Being an AE, it might be worth $600-800? My friend Ron might have a better guess?

Do you have the serial range of the Luger? Makes a difference, as does the caliber. 7.65 or 9 MM?

There are several places to get parts, although if it is a true 1900 model, parts are much harder to get. When you say "take down lever" do you mean either of these two circled parts? I am guessing either of these two, as it makes sense and what I'd call one from a 1911A1.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2003, 05:02 PM   #3
trigger643
User

025 is the missing part. I'll be able to examine it much more fully tomorrow night.

Unread 02-05-2003, 05:07 PM   #4
Thor
User

If part 25 is missing (take down lever or locking bolt) there is a good chance the take down lever spring is gone too. The original ones sometimes fit very well, but repos can come out if the bolt/lever is gone. That spring is a small wire looking spring bent in a 90 degree bend. Most exploded views dont even show it.
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2003, 07:25 AM   #5
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Glen, If your M1900 is matching other than the missing locking bolt (including nice bore & grips with the last 2 digits of the serial stamped inside each side) it is probably worth trying to restore, particularly if it is in the acknowledged US Test range of 6099 to 7100. If so, let me know the last 2 digit of the serial and I'll see if I have a matching TD lever, except if in the Test range, the number should be stamped on the right round rather than the left side lower edge. If not worth restoring, I'm be interested in it for parts. Tom H.
Unread 02-06-2003, 08:07 AM   #6
trigger643
User

I have the gun. Will post pictures tonight. It is Ser# 18864 and is matching, including grips and it does have what appears to be the correct unnumbered wood bottom magazine which is missing the follower button. It is also missing the hold open latch. Front site appears to be a replacement (bead type). Some one "thoughtfully" brazed a stocklug to the back strap at some point. The lug has also been pinned with one pin towards the bottom of trap. Underside of chamber stamped U W 0 8 with what appears to be some sort of stylized sunburst comprised of 4 concentric slashes. The firing pin spring guide has been abused with the wrong size screw driver and I won't attempt to remove it and check on the pin.

Unread 02-06-2003, 01:36 PM   #7
trigger643
User

Unread 02-06-2003, 02:16 PM   #8
trigger643
User

I am posting it in the for-sale board @ $1,000.00. After cleaning it up, it appears it may be, in addition to its other problems, an old reblue (very well done, still has sharp edges, but very fine peppering of pitting here and there). I'll also be listing it on a gun board.