LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 10-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
paul7177
User

Default Resource Book?

Which publication has the most accurate and complete serial number/date information history?
paul7177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

Since research continues and new discoveries and database entries are constantly being made, the most recent publications would be the most accurate.

Serial number ranges are generally known for most if not all variations of Lugers.

If you are asking so that you can focus on buying just one book to cover all Luger variations, I doubt you'll find that holy grail.

The second issue of Gortz and Sturgess' book is very broad and deep on it's covered contents which cover the early days and contract variations quite well.

Hallock and van de Kant's "The Mauser Parabellum" is quite broad and deep on Mauser's Lugers.

Baudino and van Vlimmeren's book on "The Parabellum is Back" is quite deep on the post war Mauser Lugers.

Mauro Baudino also has a great book covering the LP-08 Artillery.

Bobba published a book on the Swiss Parabellum that is brilliantly illustrated. Some of his conclusions are now challenged as new information is available in more detail.

Jan Still has published well documented books on most periods and variations of the Luger. These have been periodically updated.

John Walter published "The Luger Story" and "The Luger Book". These are older, and provide a good starting point and overview on the Luger.

Fred Datig publishe "The Luger Pistol" over a period about 40 years ago. It's also a good overview book. It has been periodically updated and re-issued over the years.

Many of these books are out of print, and can only be obtained through used booksellers. Some are limited press run editions and at the higher end of pricing in the bookseller's trade.

Acquiring and studying these books in your specific area of interest will, over time, save you more than their cost and make your collecting a much richer experience. Investing this time in becoming well informed is, what I call, "Luger University".
The following 4 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 10-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

Look in the section "New Collector' and look towards the top lines, they are called 'stickies' and have much information on them, to include many book recommendations. Be advised that many folks, including myself refrain from saying, stay away from so and so book, as it is poor....

http://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133

You need to know the general idea of what you like in a luger, or just buy some of the basics such as Kenyon (out of date but still good, Datig and Jones (all very old, but still pertinent) - you can get these fairly cheap, and then specialty books on certain subjects, Krieghoff by Gibson, Simson, police books, etc. The ones that Marc said above are very good. Notice a few of the cheaper ones, Reese, Davis were not mentioned. They are fine, but not my first choices.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 10-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,441 Times in 2,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
Look in the section "New Collector' and look towards the top lines, they are called 'stickies'...
I agree with Marc, and I would make this thread a stickie...

I would add that the Sturgess & Goetz book is available as a stand-alone DVD for considerably less than the 3-volume set (from Simpsons.com). This is a good deal for we casual Luger 'accumulators', and is profoundly illustrated with quite large photographs (larger than the book pics).
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post: