LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 08-25-2014, 10:01 PM   #21
hansfischer007
User

Smile ..6" Barrels..?

Hey G.T…..put me in the mix for a 6" barrel…..I have a Beautiful 1916 DWM…mismatch reblued shooter...that luger Doc and I kinda "put together" about 2 years ago……and I just miss having a shooter with a 6" barrel…..but I have to admit…..I know from nothing the difference between a Navy Barrel and a "regular" 6 " luger barrel..???….I just want what looks good…..hate to sound that simple about it……but as we say in the South……Wal..Thar it is..!!!….I will bow to your judgment as to which would look better…..but bottom line….im in for a 6" barrel……Thanks G.T. You are Appreciated……….Danke…..Hans Fischer
hansfischer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #22
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Gerry, do your 6 inch barrels have the 'taller' front sight base that the 'Navy' Lugers have???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #23
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default front sight base heigth...

Hi Rick & Rich! Always appreciate you guys chiming in... ....As for the front sight base height, we bought oversize dia. blanks so we would have a little leeway to go custom or a little wild with that dimension? I think currently, most of the front sight blades available are a little shorter then the standard P.08, artilleries and navies, (All hard to find!!) I don't know... But, my thought, it is some easier to trim a sight blade down, then it is to stretch it? ... By our preliminary measurements, you can come quite close to the taller Navy front sight base with a 1" blank, but it's really close, if at all.... so we ordered 1.125" dia. 4140 1-10" 9mm blanks... We're quite a ways from all that though, still working on the barrel stub and appropriate fixtures for repeatability.... BTW, Rick & Rich... I'd like to get your take on the 60 degree thread idea?? Do you think and issue over the long haul? Is there something I don't see here??...... You guys both have tons more metal lathe time than I.. I yield to your opinions... Best to all, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #24
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Gerry -

John Sabato was kind enough to post a 'sample' of his CD pictures in one of his albums, which comes up frequently in the Random Album Pictures -

I've done about a dozen Luger threads since the 70's/80's, all 60º. But where I differ from the SAE is that I do not adhere to the 75% thread depth. I make my [male] threads 100% thread depth and then just kiss the apex of the thread with a file. Also, I want my threads to be a snug fit, not a 'running fit'. There are different classes of fit, but the fit you find on commercial threads here in the US is very 'loose'. I've had no problems with my snug, pyramidal threads. Even when mating with German/Luger receivers.

There is some variation in tolerances in Luger receivers. If you make your production run somewhere in the middle, then some will be tight fits and others will be loose fits.

Regardless of how or what you do, there will always be someone somewhere who will complain about it.

You can and you can't
You will and you won't
You'll be damned if you do
You'll be damned if you don't.

*** John's Luger Blueprint CD can be ordered here -

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=11286
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #25
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

For those office-types who have no idea what we're talking about, here is my 60º grinding tool-template, two Cobalt steel blanks, and my 60º threading tool bit.

I've owned that template tool since 1969 and no longer know what it's called. You grind the blank until it fits the template-tool and then grind the top at an angle to make the cutting edge.

You can buy these pre-ground, and even in Carbide. I tried the Carbide threading bits and didn't like them - They chipped too easily, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick W. View Post
G.T.,

You are very gracious to ask my input. You know I am kinda a maverick here...
Heh - I just found out I'm 'snarky'...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	43051