LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-29-2014, 12:46 AM   #1
boyscout775
New User

Default First Luger: 1921 DWM

This is my first Luger that I just received a few days ago. It is a WW2 bring-back off of an officer in late 1944 in northern Italy. It hasn't been messed with since it was brought back. It appears to be all-matching except for the magazine. The rifling is good with only minor frosting, and is dead acccurate at 15 yards with 8 rounds in 1 1/2". I would like to know any information I can on it, including a price range. It has a lot of 1's stamped all over it. I believe the unit mark means 2nd company 18th infantry regiment weapon 42. I would like to know some additional information on that if possible. I get lost when the Weimar units changed to Nazi units. Would the pistol have stayed with the same soldier through its entire service? Thanks for any help, and if I need to add more pictures just let me know.

boyscout775 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to boyscout775 for your post:
Unread 06-29-2014, 06:51 AM   #2
seaburry
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Neat gun. I love unit marks. Thanks for sharing. Wk
seaburry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

Very nice Luger. Congratulations.

The last picture shows marks that would be consistent with a grip accepted for an Erfurt Luger. It's possible that they were changed out at some point.

It's possible to repair the "Million Dollar Chip" that is broken off the left grip, should you want to do that.

This would be one of only 8-10,000 Reichswehr acquired 1921 Lugers. 2nd Company

There is an overview of the Reichswehr here: http://www.feldgrau.com/main1.php?ID=1

Marc
Unread 06-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
boyscout775
New User

Thanks for the info! I had thought that the grips didn't match, but I wasn't completely sure. I think I might leave the chip, at least for now. This pistol had a long service life, and exhibits it with the wear. It has character. What would the 18th infantry regiment have been called after the transition from Weimar units? I would like to see if that unit was in northern Italy. That would tell me if it stayed with the same unit through its service.
Unread 06-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
RJS
User

You may be able to find that information on the Lexikon der werhmacht web site. I also have a 1921 Parabellum with cavalry unit markings. Using that site I was able to trace the company that had the gun to 1939, and after the mobilization, I was able to trace the redesignated company to 1942 and likely the end of the war. That site is in german but can also be seen in English. I was able to get unit history cites from that website. Eventually I was able to purchase the unit histories from the German amazon site. Good luck.
RJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,087 Posts

I like the guns that have a front grip strap unit marking and the transitional marking on the rear
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
boyscout775
New User

I believe the 1st Battalion of the 18th IR changed to the 2nd Battalion of the 80th IR. That would put them in the 34th Infantry Division, which was in northern Italy in mid to late 1944. It seems to match the story of the gun. The German sites don't always translate well, so it's hard to tell if I got that correct. Also, when were the transitional markings on the rear applied?
Unread 07-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
Douglas Jr.
User

Nice unit marked Luger.
It sure deserves more research.
Congratulations!
Douglas.
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
boyscout775
New User

The 34th Infantry Division that this gun was supposed to have been in was in the battle of France, fought in Russia for almost 3 straight years, and then was transferred to Italy in 1944. The 80th IR was changed to the 80th Grenadier Regiment. I still don't have as much information on this side of the gun's history.

On the other side, the soldier who brought it back was Tech. Sgt. James Lane McDermott. He has a conference room dedicated to him in SLO, CA. According to the book " Wind of Glory" he was the platoon leader of company G, in the 363rd Infantry Regiment, 91st Infantry Division. He fought in the taking of the Gothic Line. He was wounded 3 times and received 2 silver stars. He was apparently one tough guy.