LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 05-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
envino
User

Default Brand New Luger Owner Here

Hi guys,

I've been lurking here for a while, doing some research before my first Luger purchase.

This forum and its knowledgable members have helped me understand and select my first Luger; thank you all for your help.

I finally pulled the trigger on a Luger rig last week, it's a 1938 S/42 9mm P.08, matching serial numbers (non-matching magazine), no import markings, as well as original finish and grips.

The rig also included a holster (which I'm having trouble identifying, I'll submit a post soon asking for some help identifying it) and a tool.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to you all and begin engaging in this great forum.

Jeff

By the way, I've just completed a full disassembly, cleaning and oiling of the Luger (thanks to the guidance I've read in this forum) and will be shooting it for the first time in a couple hours from now!
envino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
SteveM
User

How 'bout some pics?
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to SteveM for your post:
Unread 05-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
envino
User

Default Here's some photos of the P.08

Hey SteveM

Thanks for the suggestion, Here's a few photos of the Mauser.

Any help with identifying the markings and evaluating the condition of the Mauser would be much appreciated.

If anyone would like some close-up photos for help with identification/evaluation, please let me know. I'll pull out the macro lens to take some close-up pics of what ever part of the gun you want.

Thanks a bunch!

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2087.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	41735  

Name:	IMG_2088.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	41736  

Name:	IMG_2089.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	41737  

Name:	IMG_2090.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	41738  

Name:	IMG_2091.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	41739  

Name:	IMG_2092.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	41740  

Name:	IMG_2093.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	41741  

Name:	IMG_2094.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	41742  

Name:	IMG_2095.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	41743  

Unread 05-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Very nice! Congratulations and welcome aboard.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 05-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
kzullick
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Welcome to the Forum! Enjoy!
kzullick is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to kzullick for your post:
Unread 05-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #6
envino
User

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the welcomes!

The first day shooting went better than expected, the Luger seems to be a very accurate pistol.

it's going to take a little getting use to the small sites on this thing!

I did have one frequent problem: the Pistol toggle would lock open when there were still rounds in the magazine.

I noticed that the wooden pistol grip on the side opposite of the safety and magazine release is loose, where it can slightly pivot forward and back along the frame of the gun. This appears to be the pistol grip that the magazine follower button slides beneath.

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but my guess is that the magazine follower button gets stuck when when the loose grip slides forward on the frame. I'm hoping I can fix the problem by buying new grips for shooting, while keeping these originals in storage.

Any feedback or ideas would be appreciated,

Thanks again,

Jeff
Unread 05-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #7
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

The spring on the hold open may have broken. Take a look and see how much it drops down when you hold the frame upside down without the receiver in place.

The spring normally holds it down into the frame. If it's weak or broken, the hold open many bounce up during firing.

- - - - -

I have frequently advised against shooting collectible Lugers. I'm now reconsidering that, since every one that ceases to be matching increases the value of those that remain matching. Your 1938 S/42 Mauser made Luger probably has the strongest metallurgy in any case.

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 05-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
envino
User

Marc,

Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked the Luger, it appears that the spring on the hold open appear to be working well (there's little to no movement when I hold the frame upside down without the receiver locked in place).

As for firing this thing, I'm planning on continuing to shoot this Luger, although certainly not as frequently as my other pistols. I feel half the fun of owning one of these pieces of history is being able to shoot it.

Of course, my thoughts about firing this Luger may change as soon as something breaks!

Thanks again,

Jeff
Unread 05-19-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

And since nobody has mentioned this yet, we generally recommend that you do not fire a collector's pistol in this condition. A broken, matching part would reduce the value by as much as 50%. Our recommendation is to buy a mismatched "shooter" and retire this nice, original example to the safe for occasional admiration.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 05-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #10
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,104 Times in 1,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by envino View Post
Of course, my thoughts about firing this Luger may change as soon as something breaks!

Jeff
I guess you will! If your nice Luger is worth say $1500 now, when you break a numbered part it immediately becomes a $600-$750 gun. But on the plus side, all of the folks that still have nice matched and unbroken examples now move up one more notch on the collectability ladder, so you will be doing them a favor. Seriously, I understand the desire to shoot these fine weapons, and the likelihood of breaking a major numbered part is relatively low if the gun is in good condition. But the risk is there, and it is entirely your choice...Good Luck
Ron
Unread 05-19-2014, 10:34 PM   #11
envino
User

alanint and Ron,

Thanks for the feedback regarding shooting this beautiful firearm.

I actually began by looking into picking up a "shooter" for my first Luger, so I did a little research.

Unfortunately, that research lead me to increasing my expectations of the type and quality of the Luger I wanted to pick up.

Ultimately, I ended up with this nice, entry-level "collector" Luger, still with the intentions of shooting it.

At this point, I'm still willing to risk the chance of damaging the Luger during my range time. I feel the risk is worth the pleasure of shooting a specific piece with almost 80 years of history behind it.

Also, I baby my guns. After every time at the range, I easily spend three hours, or more field stripping and cleaning each one of them. After every few times at the range, I'll spend a whole day with each gun completing a full disassemble and cleaning.

My hope is with some TLC and continuing my education into these amazing pieces of machinery, I'll be able to keep this beauty going. Although, I'm sure there are plenty of Luger experts out there who have shot their "collectors" and have suffered some damage.

Thanks for your concern regarding this P.08 being taken out to the range, it's helping me realize that I've found a great group of Luger experts and admirers who truly care about these guns, and who I can learn a lot from about this great firearm.

Thanks again!

Jeff