LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 03-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default MEC-GAR magazines, new changes!

Hello to all! My business G.T. Specialties uses a lot of MEC-GAR magazines in my upgrades package. Over the last few months, all the big suppliers ran out of the previously current style... that is, a nickel or blue tube, with a nickel plated metal follower, and blue follower button, very much like an original Luger mag from the pre 1945 era... Now, new MEC-GAR Luger mags are once again available, but sport a new design shell, the only difference being a large hole at the bottom of the follower slot. This is to facilitate the installation of the follower button, no longer checkered, into and out of the plastic follower... Not really a luger purest type of mag, but the changes are probably due to rising manufacture costs, and really look to have been well thought out and executed. It's probably a better mag as a result, but you shooter guys will be the ultimate test...... anyway, I'm still looking for the old type and will take turkey to anyone who like to trade things around a'bit... best to all, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 03-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Do the new style mags have the oversize base pins you mentioned???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default base pins

Hi Rich, no they don't ..still the same as before, but there is evidence that they have changed the assembly method as the black plastic bottoms were often fractured when pinned at the factory.. this was almost a 100% certainty prior to 2011, then they started to come thru with intact bases, showing some improved quality care on their part... I don't know what the life span was on an intact base, but the bottoms blew out regularly on the fractured ones...The new ones show this continued care, at least the few I've dissassembled..BTW, I have some nickel mags in stock, and will replace the tubes you have with the oversize holes at no cost to you, never seen anything like them before or since??? Best to you Rich, til....lat'r....GT
Unread 03-17-2013, 02:08 AM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Ooohhh there's more!

Upon looking closer at the bottom and follower, it looks as if they are made from a nylon reinforced plastic, at least the bottom is for sure... many, many times stronger than before... pretty neat to see the product evolution of a manufacture that has some real equity...... best to all, til...lat'r....GT
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Rvitko
New User

I just got one of these in nickel plate, I like it. The plastic follower is iffy but it locks in higher and the follower pull down is less hard on the thumbs (bullseye type texture plastic instead of the little metal dots)The spring is also stiffer, honestly I couldn't get the mecgars to work for me before without a Wolff spring upgrade. I haven't tried it yet outside of feeding some snap caps.
Rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 02:53 AM   #6
stressed
User

Just got these new updated mecgars. Ran a full mag of 115 through new blued mecgar, flawless. Ran a full mag of magtec 124 through new nickel mecgar, also flawlessly.
stressed is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to stressed for your post: