LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 01-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
UF-28
User

Question Police Luger ?

Can someone advise whether or not this is a Police luger. It has no police markings on it other than a sear safety. I was told it was. Its a 1918 DWM serial # 6025 (cant make out the suffix) L maybe? can someone ID that. All #s match however the right hand grip is only numbered (small 25) and the left has only what looks like a inspectors mark. Also this luger seems to only have an c/letter (reciever hardness and date) and a proof on the right side of reciever. It missing final assembly and acceptance What does this mean? it has 8.82 bore tolerance on barrel and witness mark looks true. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated .What exactly do i have here Military?, Police?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11218.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	39592  

Name:	SDC11219.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	39593  

Name:	SDC11220.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	39594  

Name:	SDC11226.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	39595  

Name:	SDC11232.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	39596  

Name:	SDC11243.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	39597  

UF-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 02:41 AM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,288 Times in 426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UF-28 View Post
Can someone advise whether or not this is a Police luger. It has no police markings on it other than a sear safety. I was told it was. Its a 1918 DWM serial # 6025 (cant make out the suffix) L maybe? can someone ID that. All #s match however the right hand grip is only numbered (small 25) and the left has only what looks like a inspectors mark. Also this luger seems to only have an c/letter (reciever hardness and date) and a proof on the right side of reciever. It missing final assembly and acceptance What does this mean? it has 8.82 bore tolerance on barrel and witness mark looks true. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated .What exactly do i have here Military?, Police?
You have a standard Imperial military P08 which has been repurposed for police use by adding a sear safety. The lack of additional military or police markings mean only that the pistol's history cannot be ascertained any further.

The difference between the b and l serial suffix stamp is miniscule, and cannot be determined in your picture.

By 1918 DWM miitary P08s appear occasionally with incomplete acceptance markings. Proposed reasons for this are too speculative to be considererd anything more than wags.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Dwight Gruber for your post:
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

I admit I own one but still don't know much about them or their sear safetys. Without pulling out the heavy books, I have a few simple questions for myself and those who don't own a book on this singular topic! First, what are they? What was their intended purpose? When did the first appear? Who invented them? Grandpa Luger was long gone!!! Were they only installed on 1929 'police luger'? Were they considered successful?? Whats with the the notch? Were they successful? When and why were they eliminated? Were they installed in any other model? Please answer these few questions to avoid myself and others hours of research on such a facinating topic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a notch 1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	39600  

Name:	a notch 2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	39601  

cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

FAQ Eric right here on the forum >>>>>>>

And you want me to make it easy? tsk, tsk

all others please go look for yourselves

Quote:
29) Question: Is what is referred to as the sear safety on a Luger the same thing as the safety on the upper left hand side of the frame that is activated by the lever?

No, it is not, sear safeties were a Weimar and then Nazi police requirement, and is not found on army or navy lugers (unless that weapon was transferred to them).

This is how a sear safety works.
If the top part (the "cannon") of a Luger is removed from the frame and the firing pin is ****ed, it's possible to trip the firing pin by pressing in on the sear bar; especially the plunger at the front that can be pushed into the bar. Imagine what would happen if the chamber held a live round and that were done!
Apparently, it did happen often enough to become an issue so the Police pistols were equipped with the "sear safety". It consisted of a flat spring shaped like a long "z" and riveted to the back of the small hood that shields the sear bar. The front of the spring has a small pin that drops into a hole in the sear bar when the side plate is removed and prevents the bar from being depressed and releasing the firing pin. The top of the side plate is open so the pin in the front of the spring can move with the receiver under recoil. The back upper part of the side plate keeps the spring raised enough to prevent the pin from locking the sear bar. It's really a very simple setup. If I have a chance in the next day or two, I'll try to take a picture of my 1916 Erfurt Police pistol and show you what I've described above.

Compare these two side plates. The upper one is a 1929 u-block police, the sear safety is the little bent "tang" of metal visible above the side plate.

Details of sear safety. It is held by a rivet at one end and on the opposite end bears a small pin that blocks the sear and prevents the discharge of a partly dissembled Luger. The sear safety was a police requirement introduced by Prussian State Police orders dated August 30, 1933. It was not a military requirement.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Our Hero!!!!!!!
Unread 01-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,441 Times in 2,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
Our Hero!!!!!!!
...He tries...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,351 Posts

Eric,

Gerard Henrotin's e-book Luger Mechanical features would provide information for you with graphics in addition to the written explanation, so once again I'll recommend spending what might be the best $7.99 you have ever spent! This book is replete with history--including the thinking behind each system's incorporation--along with excellent explanations of the mechanical aspects of the different features such as the sear safety, mag safety, etc. The illustrations assist, when paired with the descriptions, in understanding all this stuff. And to save you a trip to our site's front page, where M. Henrotin's rendition of the firing sequence of the Luger is animated, along with a link to his e-book site, here's the direct link to the particular book in question: http://www.hlebooks.com/ebook/eluger1.htm

Enjoy!
Unread 01-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Dave you reminded that I already download several years prior. I'm sure I can find them again. They are great reference and I see the raised their price from originally $7.98. A good deal at any price! I'll take a look!! Tks again!
Unread 01-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Yes I still have it. Its full of good stuff!