LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 01-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
95nywaffen
New User

Default We have a newly discovered Luger...

A good friend of mine recently discovered a Luger in some of her parents belongings who passed away a long time ago.

We are trying to identify this WW II relic that her father brought back home from France when he was stationed there immediately after the wars end to help in the post war activities.

For some reason I couldn't upload pictures from my computer as instructed on the "Posting Pics" thread (http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=23172)

So here is a link to my Google photos account. https://plus.google.com/photos/11261...P6OtuHJjc-71QE

Thanks in advance for your help in letting us know what we have.
95nywaffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Definitely a WW2 German military gun, but I can't tell from the photos if it matches or not. Also I'm wondering if the gun, or at least the lower part, has been reblued, as the safety lettering is no longer white.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
95nywaffen
New User

This relic has been hidden since it returned from France after WW II according to my friend. She always heard her father talking about having it but it was never taken out for show and tell. It just remained in a chest that contained stuff from her father that he put away after the war.

It appears that the lower has all matching parts with "90" stamped.

The slide has a mixed bag of numbers with some matching "16" in a couple of places and the toggle assembly has all matching "28".

Toggle also has a "42" and "41" on it.
Unread 01-18-2014, 10:35 PM   #4
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi, welcome to the forum.

When collectors talk about matching parts, it means that all of them are numbered by the factory as the pistol is manufactured and fitted.

Your friend's Luger appears to have been assembled from a mix of found parts. It didn't leave a factory that way.

There was some activity by civilians with access to parts to fulfill the demand created by GIs that wanted to bring home Lugers. They may have come from a repair depot or other level armory.

The receiver was made in 1941 at Mauser's Oberndorf factory. The toggle's "42" is a manufacturer's concealment code for Mauser from earlier in the war.

This is a family heirloom that your friend should be proud of. A real memento from the father's service in Europe after the war.

Marc
Unread 01-19-2014, 02:38 AM   #5
95nywaffen
New User

Thanks everyone.

What would be the insurance value of this relic? Can it be used as a shooter or will shooting it devalue it?
Unread 01-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #6
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Value is in the $700 range and sentimental value priceless. You can certainly shoot this pistol without hurting its value, but I would have a gunsmith go through it first for safety.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote