LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 12-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
johnii
User

Default Second P-08 S/42: 1936

I am johnii and have two Lugers. One is an S/42 1936 and the other is an S/42 1937. The 1936 is numbered on all parts 1288 without any suffix. Grips are after market, holster is period but not original:

The magazine aluminum "drum" has 1288 on it but the magazine itself (that holds the bullets) is blue with :

2/1001

just above the left button (left side) of the aluminum base. I can't find any other numbers or symbols with numbers any of the four sides of the magazine except for what I mentioned above.

I am going to send some more photos revealing a mark or symbol I do not understand just to the left of the 1288 ser. no. on the barrel receiver (with the takedown button just beneath the area.

Any information is welcome. Thank you all for your time!
Kindly,
John

Last edited by johnii; 12-06-2013 at 02:48 PM.
johnii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
johnii
User

Default Two photos of left side receiver ser num

I can't make out the "symbol" or what the mark to the left of the serial number is on the receiver :

Thanks for your help.
Unread 12-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
jussi16
User

Hi.

The magazine is east german, post war. Maybe the pistol was also used by the Volks Polizei? Can not see the left side marking well enough.
And there is no "Mauser hump". Maybe they used some DWM parts to put this together.

jussi
jussi16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
johnii
User

Thanks jussi16. I've posted a better picture of the mark on the P-08 forum.

Thanks for your input and I'd like you to look at the mark before the serial number on the left side of the receiver over there (my post over there).
Unread 12-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
johnii
User

Default Clearer photo of the serial number:

Unread 12-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
jussi16
User

Again, can not see the marking well enough, but everything seems like a VOPO luger. Maybe it has a new dip blue color. Served during the WWII and after that in east german police.
I think it is a very good gun to have in your collection. Very much interesting history. And if you want, a shooting pistol. Anyway, there are many more forum members that know much more than I do. Wait for more comments.

I do think, that I am a beginner all the time, because these people in this forum bring up new things all the time.

And english language is not my mother tongue...

jussi16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
johnii
User

I think you are right about the information you have posted. Thank you for your input. I greatly appreciate it and you have made this purchase a most interesting pursuit for me to discover more.

Yes you are right I primarily got it to shoot it. I can't help myself to own a gun I can't or won't shoot!

The previous owner shot it with his daughter many times and his daughter likes the pistol very much. One may wonder how a father is willing to part with a handgun his daughter wants and my simple answer is I made him an offer he could not refuse!

J

PS. The reason I liked it enough to want it was it was S/42 Military WWII and I already had a 1937 S/42. So I got one a year earlier and guess what? I am thinking I should continue and get each year S/42 was made!