LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 10-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #21
Aaron
Banned

The comment about the legality of removing an importer mark raises an interesting question. I have never seen any reference pertaining to tampering with such markings, and if anyone knows for sure that such a prohibition exists, I would be be grateful for the information. That being said, one thing we know for sure, that it is illegal to remove an original serial number from a firearm. However, it seems perfectly permissible to remove any other markings, such as caliber and manufacturer stamps. So why not importer markings? I would guess that once a weapon is legally imported into the U.S. the government requirement that it bear the stamp of the importer is no longer necessary.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #22
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
The comment about the legality of removing an importer mark raises an interesting question. I have never seen any reference pertaining to tampering with such markings, and if anyone knows for sure that such a prohibition exists, I would be be grateful for the information. That being said, one thing we know for sure, that it is illegal to remove an original serial number from a firearm. However, it seems perfectly permissible to remove any other markings, such as caliber and manufacturer stamps. So why not importer markings? I would guess that once a weapon is legally imported into the U.S. the government requirement that it bear the stamp of the importer is no longer necessary.
I am not a lawyer but probably have more experience in reading and interpreting gun law than most of the younger crew on the forum simply because of my age and the fact that I have been in this game about 50 years. IMHO, I concur with Aaron's assessment just based on common sense. Many imported military firearms bear the required import mark on the barrel simply because ATF at the time wasn't specific about its location. If removal of the mark would be prohibited it would mean you could never replace the barrel to improve accuracy or otherwise effect a repair.

The scratched area under the barrel, even though it appears unreadable now, is typical of the size and location of the import marks placed by Century Arms International (CAI) in St. Albans, VT.

Just my $0.02.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote