LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 06-22-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
owutfun
New User

Default Luger Identification Help—1925 9" Barrel

Hello!
I am the owner of a P08 Luger with a 9" barrel, however I'm not 100% sure about the value of the gun as the previous owner had only limited information about it.

It is a 7.65 caliber and I think it has a replacement Stoeger barrel of its approximate vintage, though I'm not certain of the year it was made. I know that the previous owner purchased the gun in '52 and he identified it as 'a 1925 commercial model and the barrel had been/was replaced at that time.' My gut feeling is that it may have been a 4" barrel originally, but I was hoping someone could shed some light on that matter since I have no confirmation of this. I was able to identify the lettering on the leading edge of the trigger guard as a "o" and as a German Luger.

I have attached several photos of the gun with the markings included. You can see in two photos the 'o', along with a serial number and a 'DWM' crest on the top of the gun. Additionally, there is a '26' stamped on the sight, which cannot be seen in the photos.

I'd appreciate any information anyone can give me on this gun. I've searched online and through several forums, but because of the uniqueness of this Luger, answers have been hard to come by.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of how much it's worth. Please let me know if you have any ideas!

Thanks,
RJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	34543  

Name:	IMG_0432.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	34544  

Name:	IMG_0433.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	34545  

Name:	IMG_0434.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	34546  

Name:	IMG_0435.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	34547  

Name:	IMG_0437.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	34548  

Last edited by owutfun; 06-22-2013 at 01:19 AM. Reason: clarification
owutfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

OW, I would bet that if you measured the barrel back to the rear of the chamber area, it would be a nominal 10 inches. Stoeger & Pacific arms both offered these long replacement barrels in 2" increments from 8 to 24 inches in either 7.65 or 9mm with the tangent rear sight. Since yours appears to have mismatched parts (frame, rear toggle link, tangent rear sight, etc. I'd call it a long barrelled shooter and worth whatever an interested shooter is willing to pay. TH
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Very nice! A long-barreled DWM Luger, in 30 cal, with the 'artillery' barrel sight. It also has the toggle rear sight, which detracts from the overall effect somewhat.

I would love to shoot it. Might take a while to work up an accurate load.

Value is relative; appearance is everything in a mismatched shooter. It it was offered locally, with no FFL fees, no sales tax, no S&H, I could see it going for ~$1,000...Maybe a couple hundred more...

The real selling point [to me] is the artillery barrel w/rear sight. Rare to find a long barrel with the arty sight and the barrel base for it (other than an 8" artillery barrel). I am wondering if it is an original artillery sight or a repro...

Does the pistol appear to be buffed/re-blued???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

I agree w the above, around a $1000-$1200
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi RJ, and welcome to the forum.

You've got an interesting Luger. Thanks for posting pictures.

Tom, the frame s/n is 6667o and the rear toggle is "67". There is the "GERMANY" stamp on the front of frame.

I also can't see a Crown/N proof mark. It is likely that these were shipped incomplete to the USA; the long barrel installed here and the tangent sight recycled from an ARTY?

The "O" suffix block does correspond to manufacture of DWM Alphabet Commercial Lugers in 1925.

These Lugers with modified barrels were advertised extensively in the Weimar era. Here's a reference from the Chicago based Peter Von Frantzius catalogs of 1923-4:

http://www.landofborchardt.com/1923fvf_catalog.html

Marc
Unread 06-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
lfid
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

RJ,
suggest you take the upper off and look for serials on underside of the dwm toggle link, the side of the breechblock, the recoil lug on underside of the slide near barrel mount and also underside edge of the sideplate and the takedown lever - these would be unmarked or #67 if original 192x commercial

your luger looks very tight mechanically and so appears not fired much in its lifetime
and looks like excellent reblue was not overzealous

is the inside of barrel bright shiny with sharp edge rifling ? ie like new ? and chamber also sharp and clean ?

can you add a picture of the rear sight on barrel from the top down view ?

it looks like nice reblued salt blue probably when barrel was installed - interesting that stoeger might still have sold parts built lugers in 1952 - did prior owner say gun purchased directly from stoeger ?

added info will help identify value - Im thinking $1500 as I like the unusual / custom lugers

suggest you offer for sale here on the forum if you decide to sell

thanks for sharing !
Bill
lfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
...offered locally, with no FFL fees,...
Rich, don't forget--ALL pistol transfers must go thru an FFL now, even the private ones. A ftf would take place at the dealer's; they'd take the coupon and do a background check (Don't know if it's just for the recipient...). And a fee, of course. IMMSMC, up to $10?

Quote:
Does the pistol appear to be buffed/re-blued???
The toggle axle retaining pin does not look bery "white" to me; it might be the pic. It's a really clean finish, I'll have to admit.

Too bad about the wrong toggle.
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Not in FLorida, they don't. Private sales are still a part of life here.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Rich, don't forget--ALL pistol transfers must go thru an FFL now, even the private ones...
Yup...I fergot!!!
Unread 06-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
owutfun
New User

Thanks for all the info! The barrel is 9" measuring from the the front end to where it meets the frame. 10" if you count from the front to where the magazine meets the ramp into the barrel. This doesn't appear to have been reblued or polished and has original type wood butt magazine although not numbered. It fires nicely and we put a handful of rounds through it. It is very tight and do not think it has had much use. Nice rifling. I may list it on this to see if there is interest
owutfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
LugerVern
User

Pacific Arms barrels were made for the mass market, this necessitated that the rear sight be such that the back of the rear sight rest on the barrel flange and not the receiver as many lugers did not have the notch.

Your barrel shows this feature, please take a very close look for anything that might tie it to Pacific Arms. It's not likely you will find any markings but it's worth looking for.

One of the features of the PA barrels is that they were made for interchangeability.

Thanks

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to LugerVern for your post:
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerVern View Post
Pacific Arms barrels were made for the mass market, this necessitated that the rear sight be such that the back of the rear sight rest on the barrel flange and not the receiver as many lugers did not have the notch.
Hmm, I didn't notice that...Good catch!

I did notice that the barrel flange does not curve smoothly into the taper, but is cut/turned at an angle (rather than curved)...I don't have an old Pacific catalog with a good picture of their long barrels...Do their barrels have the angled transition to the taper rather than the curve???
Unread 06-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
stellamenendez
New User

Cool New member

Hi everyone. I am a new member to this forum no experience at all. Bought a Luger made by Walter paid $1,200 Serial #4769 and will like to know all about it. Especially the year it was built.
stellamenendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Welcome aboard, Luis!
As a start, we need more information and photos. First off, Walther never manufactured the Luger pistol. Are you sure you don't have a P38? Take several, clear, well lit photos of the overall pistol and closeups of all its markings. With these in hand we would be happy to offer some help.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #15
Jack Lawman
User

The following applies to New York State residents ONLY:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Rich, don't forget--ALL pistol transfers must go thru an FFL now, even the private ones. A ftf would take place at the dealer's; they'd take the coupon and do a background check (Don't know if it's just for the recipient...). And a fee, of course. IMMSMC, up to $10?
I know that a lot of people from NY are unaware of this new provision of the SAFE ACT. That's the only reason I'm posting this. I believe the law to be unconstitutional (not for me to decide) as well as misguided.

Starting on March 15, 2013, all private handgun, rifle or shotgun sales or transfers (with the exception of those sales or transfers to and between certain family members) will require a background check of the buyer. FOR PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION, "IMMEDIATE FAMILY" SHALL MEAN SPOUSES, DOMESTIC PARTNERS, CHILDREN AND STEP-CHILDREN.

Dealers in New York are not required to facilitate private firearm sales or transfers. However, if they do, they may not charge more than $10 per firearm to complete the sale or (private) transfer. It is up to the private parties to decide who is responsible for paying the dealer.

Dealers are not required to facilitate $10 private transfers. I don't know of any in the NY metro area doing them. They will, however do a full blown commercial transfer between the parties for anywhere between $25 - $50.

I have good hope that one of these years we will throw off these chains of oppression, but for now, the law is the law.
Unread 07-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #16
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Jack, As a former Calif resident, when they did away with private transfers (all had to go thru a "transfer dealer" who also collected an $11 fee for the state) the state mandated transfer fee was $25, but most dealers would not do it for that little, and added a $1 a day (for the 15 day waiting period at the time) "STORAGE' charge to cover their increased insurance cost.. TH
Unread 07-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #17
Jack Lawman
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugerdoc View Post
...but most dealers would not do it for that little, and added a $1 a day (for the 15 day waiting period at the time) "STORAGE' charge to cover their increased insurance cost.. TH
Typical! I believe one of the major intents of the New York law is to make the simple ownership of firearms so expensive, bureaucratic, and complicated that honest people just give up. That is happening.

Of course, criminals won't comply with any provisions and therein lies the folly of the whole thing.

Jack
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #18
jaguar88xj6
User

Default 0 serial numbers

Where all serial number in the o group made in 1925? My comercial DWM is 311o. Could it be 1924 being such a low number? Thanks.
jaguar88xj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
NoncomRetired
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
Not in FLorida, they don't. Private sales are still a part of life here.
Recently, last week, our puppet Governor signed a Bill that "all" transactions has to be cleared by our State Police. Private sales has to have clearance from them.....that is Gov Quinn acting for Schittago for the 'whole' state......again.

NoncomRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #20
lugersrkewl
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar88xj6 View Post
Where all serial number in the o group made in 1925? My comercial DWM is 311o. Could it be 1924 being such a low number? Thanks.
they start with 1-10000 then start using suffixes (letters under serial). your 311 was the 311 pistol out of 10000 in the o suffix range. serial ranges can go through into a new year. i.e 1223a was made in 1924 and 9999a wasnt made until 1925 for example.
lugersrkewl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1925, 9" barrel, commercial luger