LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 04-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,627 Times in 999 Posts
Default OK...suggestions for barrel lengths??

Hi to all, I know the 4" standard barrel is still pretty common fare.. But, 5" for our Canadian friends, and 6" standard would be interesting start points... Orrrr, do most members like the early thin taper .30 cal 4.750" in length... Orrr, what do you think..??...Opinions welcome and desired...best to all, til...lat'r....GT..
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,087 Posts

Five inch is an excellent length, six is next best, 9mm of course
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

G.T.

As you know, I have a receiver with a 5in. bbl. and I really like that length over the 4 and 6in. bbl, as an aftermarket bbl.

The pencil thin 4.75in. bbl. is right there in the running also, from my standpoint.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default I agree...

Hi Doc, I've been getting some great feedback both from forum members and from dedicated Luger shooters such as yourself...It looks like a 9mm with the standard profile in 5.100" will be our first attempt... Profiling and chambering are tasks we are trying to figure out prior to making metal dust... .....but we realize the real trick is in the proper repeatable indexing and clocking of the extractor relief and front sight proper... We are experimenting for a nominal torque factor for easy, yet tight, assembly... It's probably less then .125" distance, between hand snug and wrench tight!!!???... Lots to do to make them right....... hope all goes at least relatively well... best to all, til...lat'r....GT
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

G.T. Please take plenty of photos during your barrel making escapades... there are many here on the forum interested in metalworking that would find your efforts very interesting. if you need help posting photos, you can send them to me or Ed Tinker...

Do you still have the 6-inch Navy Luger barrel blueprint I did for you? Do you need a dimensioned 5 inch print? Since I have it in 2D Cad file, making a 5 Inch print would not be difficult. the only thing I can't much help you with is the indexing and clocking of the front sight base and extractor cuts... that is work for a REAL machinist like you.
-John
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

G.T.

Good luck with your new endeavor. I am sure that you guys can find a solution to this dilemma.....the Germans did long, long ago.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 02:42 AM   #7
lfid
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Hi GT,

as a secondary design - that could use same simplified machine setup/program as a tapered barrel - perhaps also a 5" or 5.25" length in bull barrel format with crowned muzzle 9mm - seems it would be an easy derivative of the tapered typical factory profile

could be max constant external diameter that will allow clearance with the internal frame rails or at least same diameter as the standard barrel flange diameter at slide mount face

no front sight to allow further customizations with user selected sight options or perhaps front sight as customer order or use with side mount laser or scope

good luck and thanks !!! for working this barrel project
Bill
lfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default bull barrel

Hi Bill, that is an excellent suggestion... although I know the mass of a bull barrel of max dia. and a certain length is too much for the luger action... it will affect recoil.. John V. Martz did a lot testing on this to see what they could and couldn't get away with.. that is why my custom .30 Target Luger made by JVM has slab sides on it so it would function with factory loads.. I think it was marginal to start with, but with the slab sides it works perfectly! Maybe that is a consideration.. we'll see... lot'sa beach to cross before we get past the baby turtle stage! All ideas are welcome and considered... best to all, til...lat'r...GT