LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 03-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
drezlun
New User

Default 1939 Mauser Luger

Hello everyone! I found this site while doing research on the Luger I inherited from my grandfather. I was finally able to get it from where it was being stored and of course wanted to find out as much about it as possible. Using your website, I have determined the following.

It is a 9mm Luger manufactured in 1939 with all matching serial numbers (5531 Lot Y). It has a "42" for the manufacturer mark (Mauser Luger) and has several of the "stick iron eagles" with the number 655 underneath them. I also have the original holster, adjustment tool, and two magazines for it. One has matching serial numbers with the pistol and the other unfortunately has a different set of numbers. Overall I'd conservatively estimate that the pistol probably has 85-90% of the original bluing, but that is just based on the rub marks that I can see on it. It may be more, it may be less. Oh and no rust. My grandfather took very good care of this pistol and now it is up to me to do the same.
drezlun is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to drezlun for your post:
Unread 03-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Congratulations on your family heirloom. Take good care of it so your kids will be equally blessed someday.
If you wish, post some photos for our entertainment and education, and also share the story of how your grandfather came upon it.
And having even just one matching magazine is a real bonus.

dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Luger.

You hold a piece of world and family history.

A few thoughts...

Don't store the pistol, magazines or tool in the holster. Keep them separate. Chemicals used to prepare the holster's leather can harm the finish and metal over time.

Clean it and lubricate it periodically. I use a spray preserving oil like RemOil or a product from Hoppes, and store the pistol in a silicone impregnated sock.

Your Luger's full serial number is "5531y". The letter is a suffix and part of the serial number, rather than a lot number.

The E/655 stamps indicate the inspector that approved your Luger for military acceptance at the Mauser factory in Oberndorf.

Having the matching magazine is rare and increases the historic and financial value of your Luger.

It's possible that your Grandfather has "bring back papers" that accompanied this pistol back from the war. Try and find these if possible. A member here (Ed Tinker) collects the stories that accompany the capture and "bring back" of Lugers to the USA.

If you're looking for insurance values, find something similar on the Simpson Ltd website.

The "L" shaped tool is for loading the magazines, and includes a screwdriver tip that will help with firing pin removal.

Marc
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
drezlun
New User

Awesome! Thank you very much for the information and the compliments. I'll try to post some of the pictures I've taken of it as soon as I can.

My grandfather only told me the story of when he found the pistol once (several years ago), but fortunately we video taped him while he was telling the story. I am trying to find that cassette so I can convert it to a digital version and save it.

As far as the paperwork goes, one of my aunts has the rest of his WWII/Korean War memorabilia, but I am trying to get a hold of her to see if she remembers seeing any paperwork regarding it. I have high hopes that he did keep it, because he took fantastic care of this pistol throughout the years.
drezlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I work in Video if I can be of help... Marc