LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-23-2002, 10:21 PM   #1
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,308 Times in 429 Posts
Default Gun Show Report--Portland

A relatively Luger-rich environment.

A 1900 Commercial, really excellent quality, asking a full $3.5k. Two more Lugers on the same table for $800 apiece, a 1913 DWM with a sear safety, and a blank-chamber DWM, looked like a 1908 Military 3rd issue.

Three Lugers on another table, a 1906 DWM refinished & new barre, 2 mags & holster, $675. Also two 1920 Commercials, one 9mm and one .30, pretty good shape, $650 each. A byf in .30 showed up on that table later, also priced at $650.

There was a singleton 1900 American Eagle which has been for sale for quite a while now at $1.7k.

Another display had what may have been the Luger bargain of the show (I didn't buy), an S/42 1936 date for $600, really good condition--he was selling it as a shooter. He also had a John Martz Baby for sale for $2.6k.

The oddment at this show was a Luger carbine. The seller told me that the guy who sold it to the guy who sold it to him said that it was made up of a kit that was marketed in the '50s--long barrel, artillery sight, forearm, and shoulder stock. The gun was made up of a garden-variety base Luger. He only wanted $1.5k for it, which seemed to me to be pretty reasonable under the circumstances. Does anyone know about such a kit being sold?

There were at least three walk-ins that I know of (four, if you count the byf), a 1920 Commercial (damn, there seem to be a lot of these around!) and two artilleries. One was a really gorgeous chamber-date 1913 DWM (I didn't even ask how much) and one chamber-date 1918 Frankenartillery. Yes, I paid too much for it, but it may give me a line on another, better Luger later.

Also picked up a set of ivory grips (yes they are real, and yes, they were -real- expensive!), which I will put away until I have a nice pim...er, flash gun to put them on.

There was not much else interesting this time around, only three P-38s (well, one P-1), and three broomhandle Mausers--but one of those was the Disaster Bolo I posted about a couple weeks ago, and one was an Astra.

Orv, sorry our paths didn't cross, the Expo Center is a pretty big place I guess.

--Dwight

Unread 03-23-2002, 10:53 PM   #2
Tracy

Default Re: Gun Show Report--Portland

Darn. Now the Lugers come out when my son is moving back to Sacramento. I now have no excuse or place to stay to go to the Portland show.

Unread 03-23-2002, 11:37 PM   #3
Kyrie
User

Hi Dwight,

If you have a chance at a nice Astra M900 (Spanish Broomhandle) at a fair price, snap it up. These are harder to find that the C96.

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 03-24-2002, 12:11 AM   #4
Dwight Gruber
User

Kyrie,

Thanks for the tip. I don't recall the price on it, it seemed reasonable, I'm headed back tomorrow anyway, so I'll check.

Are they shootable?? And, can you fit a stock to them? Legally?

--Dwight

Unread 03-24-2002, 01:47 AM   #5
Orv Reichert
RIP

Default Gun Show Report--Portland

Yes...I was there from noon to 3:00 ...perhaps, next time?

Orv

Unread 03-24-2002, 09:59 PM   #6
Big Norm
RIP

Dwight,

did I read your thread right? You said that you saw a chamber dated 1913 Artillery Luger? Ain't no such animal. Artilleries started in 1914 at both DWM and Erfurt.

Big Norm

Unread 03-25-2002, 02:52 AM   #7
Dwight Gruber
User

I could have mis-read the date, I was peering over someone's shoulder. No way to find out what it really was now, I guess. Aaron Davis's book (not the last word, obviously, but what I carry at gun shows) allows for the logical possibility of an artillery with a chamber date of 1913. Jeez, I could swear that was the number, particularly because I was looking at the 1918 I bought at the same time, and I briefly confused the two numbers in my notes. I guess I'm embarrresed!

--Dwight

Unread 03-25-2002, 10:30 PM   #8
Dwight Gruber
User

Default 1913 Artillery...NOT

Gave the guy with the Artillery a call this evening (turns out I have his card), he said that it is a 1915 DWM Artillery. He was looking for about $2k for it.

--Dwight