LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 01-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Transporting guns via airline

I am going to the Louisville “Show of Shows” in March, my first big gun show, and I have questions about transporting guns via airline. For a long gun purchase I plan to buy a cheap plastic case at the show and check it as baggage on my return flight. For handgun purchases I though I might put them in my carry-on bag and check it as baggage on the return flight. I understand that I can't put a lock on baggage and that concerns me. Any advise or experiences?
KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Steve Lempitski
User

I do it all the time - you need a hard sided lockable case for the firearm. If its a small case it can be put in a larger suitcase - at any rate you MUST declare the firearm to the gate agent at check in. They will either ask you to open the hard sided case and show the firearm is completely unloaded, OR a TSA agent will come and take the hard sided case and inspect the gun themselves. You then fill out a firearms declaration unloaded tag which is placed in the hard sided case with the firearm, and either you or the TSA agent will lock the case and YOU get the key. There is a limit of 4 hand guns that can be checked. To pick up the firearm, if its a non descript case, (mine is a small solid aluminum suitcase) it comes down with regular luggage, if its obviously a firearm case, it is picked up at airline special handling. DO NOT have any ammo at all in the case. Personally I either buy ammo at my destination, or ship it UPS. As each airline does it differenty call their customer service department before you fly! NOTE: even spare mags, clips, or cylinders MUST be in the locked hard sided case as well!
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

MOST airlines allow guns to travel along in the cargo hold. "Declared and unloaded" are the watchwords here. If you know which airline you are traveling on, contact them first and/or go to their website and look up their gun policies and guidelines.

Be ready to open the case at the checkin counter so they can see that the gun is not loaded. send any ammo you have in a seperate, declared bag. One caveat. DO NOT let the airline counter person put any "firearm enclosed" type stickers on your case. This is nothing more than a "steal me" sign. If you insist, they won't place the sticker on, if they employ these at all.

Also, buy a case that can be padlocked closed with TSA approved padlocks. Buy a couple or more GOOD TSA padlocks before traveling. Placing a normal or combo lock on your case will virtually garranty its destruction by TSA critters.

(Still enjoying the looks on the faces in the line behind us as we are asked to pull out M60s, M249s, Browning M19119A4s, etc. for "unloaded" inspection at Miami International every time we travel to Knobb Creek!).
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Steve Lempitski
User

My first time checking guns was when Mom and Dad were flying to AZ for the winter, so in Logan airport I took the pair of pistols with them to the check in counter. As I had Dads .22 single six out rotating the cylinder with the gun pointed down in front of the ticket agent, a young boy behind says "Mom he has a gun" I looked at him and replied that you should have a pistol when your going to cowboy land. He replied where is that - I said AZ, theres a lot of cowboys there and indians too. He got excited and asked his mother if they were going to AZ, she gave me a dirty look and sternly said "we're going to FL" and seeing his disappointment, gave me a nasty stare as my laughing parents headed for the gate...
Unread 01-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,528 Times in 787 Posts

At the SOS in Louisville there will be tables set up by UPS and Fedex against the back wall. Easiest thing to do is ship your purchases home via one of these carriers.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

I have not had them tell me there is a limit, I have sent 10-12 handguns at one single time in a case...

ALSO, besides shipping to yourself, you can always lock your bag, it just needs a TSA approved lock, which keeps out half the bad guys, but combined with the locked box inside of the case, provides fairly good security.

I 'try' to have direct flights when I know guns might be involved....
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
JoeP.08
User

I've been flying to KY for the SOS for several years now. According to TSA rules, as of last year, you can have ammo in the same locked case as the firearms but it must be packaged in (factory) ammo box. I believe you are limited as to quantity of ammo. The magazines are unloaded. I check the airline company's regulations and TSA regulations before I fly and haven't seen any changes for the past several years.

IMHO check TSA and the company airline regs yourself, before you fly.

Best regards,

Joe Pirolo