LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-24-2002, 07:12 AM   #1
Erik van Maasdijk

Default What is Staw?

Hello everyone, I am looking to buy a Luger pistol and am checking the market. One thing I come across when reading about the guns is that they have (for example) a 90% straw and another might have a 60% straw. What does this mean? If you buy one with a low straw say 50% can you restore it?

Unread 03-24-2002, 08:28 AM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: What is Staw?

Erik,

The "Straw" on a Luger is refering to the yellowish, or goldish color on the small parts of a Luger as the takedown lever, mag release, safety lever, ejector, etc. This "straw" color comes from the heat treatment of that particular part and is very fragile to wear. Sunlight and rubbing will wear it off quickly. This was used on all Lugers up to mid/late 1937, and all commercial Lugers.

The percent of "straw" is the same as the percent of blue, an indicator of how much of the yellowish color is still left on the part. When the color is gone, the section of the part is plain steel color.

Can the "straw" be restored, YES it can! It can be done at home, but is difficult to get the proper color and texture of the metal. The best way to restore the "straw" is from the Forums own Ted Green, or best known as "Thor". Thor does a remarkeable job of restoration on the straw color which looks original to the pistol. He can also do a complete restoration of a Luger, P.38, PP/PPK and other German pistols. When his work is completed, it looks like it just came from the factory. Thor only does a restoration on a shooter grade Luger as he will not destroy the value of a collectible pistol. Get in touch with him and he can provide more information.

marvin

Unread 03-24-2002, 08:30 AM   #3
Thor
User

Default Re: What is Staw? (STRAW)

Strawing is a heat treatment process that changes the normal white colored steel to a a beautiful yellow/gold color. On a COLLECTION grade Luger the straw condition is typically a little less than the bluing percentage. On a COLLECTION grade Luger it is NEVER a good idea to restore it because now in most COLLECTORS eyes, it has been reworked and is hence not worth as much because it is no longer considered original. On a SHOOTER grade Luger I think it is a good idea because it makes it look better and doesnt devalue it IMO. Typically WWI Erfurts and DWMS and some of the pre 1937 Mausers and ALL THE KRIEGHOFFS had their triggers, ejectors, magazine release buttons, take down levers and safety levers strawed. Later Mauser salt blued all these parts. Thor

Unread 03-24-2002, 08:35 AM   #4
Thor
User

The small parts on this double date Luger are strawed. Thor

http://members.rennlist.com/lugerman/TDDErfurtbig.jpg
Unread 03-24-2002, 10:30 AM   #5
Erik van Maasdijk

Thank you Marvin for that great explanation and Thor for yours including that EXCELLENT picture! Thor, in case I buy a Luger I want to staw (yes I know straw, it was a typing error)could I have your e-mail address? mine is erik@laurell.nl

Thanks again guys

Unread 03-24-2002, 10:32 AM   #6
Erik van Maasdijk

what an idiot! your e-mail address is already given!!! just shows I am the new kid on the block....

Unread 03-25-2002, 12:47 AM   #7
Hugh
RIP

Default TED......

How do you post such big pictures? When I try to post large pictures, it won't take them because there are too many KB's. I end up with LITTLE pictures.

Unread 03-25-2002, 12:50 AM   #8
Thor
User

Default Re: HUGH......

I cheat......of course!!! heheheheh The Thor knows!

Unread 03-25-2002, 12:54 AM   #9
Thor
User

Default Re: TED......

They are linked to my website, so I dont have to use the upload feature as they already live somewhere else. I just use the URL in the graphics window. As long as you pics live somewhere else, you can do this too! Thor

Unread 03-25-2002, 01:50 AM   #10
66mustang

Default Photos, maybe some help, maybe some...

Hugh, there are several ways to make the pictures larger, as you take away pixels, the photos can stay larger and yet you have a fairly nice photo.

dpi or dots per inhc is what you think of for printers, pixels are for the screen you are looking at. So the less pixels, then the kb's get smaller.

You can imagine how each time you copy something on a xerox copier or the like that the quality gets worse each time. So, my point is that therer are several ways to make the picture larger, yet okay to view. Many programs like Paint Shop Pro and Adobe will allow you to lessen the resolution, this makes the picture have less pixels per inch.

You can have a picture, put a square around it (selecting that part of the picture, even if it is most of it) and then paste as a new image.

The quality will get worse each time you do this, but you can change the sixe of the photo and thereby make the picture less kb's. So, you copy and make a new picture and then save it, see how the quality versus the sixe and shrink it down a little.

Or you save the image large on another server and then link to it like Thor does. Of course John allows 180 KB's, which is a pretty nice sharp picture for most uses.

Ed

Unread 03-25-2002, 04:35 AM   #11
Thor
User

Default Re: Hugh...Bob Tracy's K Date!!

Youins mean lik this? Love dem K daters Notice the set back front sight!! Ya gotta luv em! Tedro (oops....Thorster~)

Ted's Luger Strawing Service
http://members.rennlist.com/lugerman...T/btkdate2.jpg
Unread 03-25-2002, 04:44 AM   #12
Thor
User

Or Marvin Cook's G Date Mauser! Thor~~~~~~~burp tooo much wadka

http://members.rennlist.com/lugerman/G1150.jpg
Unread 03-25-2002, 09:33 AM   #13
66mustang

Default Tedro, you know it were your cousins turn on the puter! (EOM)

Unread 03-25-2002, 09:50 AM   #14
Hugh
RIP

Default Ted, whar's tha pic uv ma longbrrl? :b (EOM)

Unread 03-25-2002, 09:55 AM   #15
Thor
User

Default Re: Ted, whar's tha pic uv ma longbrrl? :b

Where's my baby?

Unread 03-25-2002, 02:26 PM   #16
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: Ted: :b
Unread 03-25-2002, 03:25 PM   #17
Tracy

Still can not believe that I own this. It was just a sorry import when Ted got a hold of it and look at it now. Ted thanks for a thing of beauty if we can say such a thing in thei Politclly Correct World.