LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-22-2002, 02:02 AM   #1
Aaron
Banned

Default Holster ID Needed

Was just rummaging through my accumulation of holsters and found one I am unfamiliar with. It appears to be a totally ordinary black P08 holster. The back has the large "P08" stamp. Also on the back is stamped:

OTTO KOBERSTEIN

LANDSBERG a.W

I don't remember ever seeing a holster after 1940 without a wartime manufacturer's code. This has no code and no Waffenampt. Also, I have thusfar not found this manufacturer listed in any of my references. Would it just be an ordinary commercial type?

Unread 03-22-2002, 06:19 AM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: Holster ID Needed

Aaron,

Otto Koberstein is listed in Bender's book "Luger Holsters & Acc. of the 20th Century, but no Waffenamt or code is shown for them. I tend to agree with you that they are commercially made holsters. If they were military, they would have the Waffenamt stamp.

marvin

Unread 03-22-2002, 10:59 AM   #3
Aaron
Banned

Thanks, Marvin. I concur with your thoughts. I have that book on order.

Unread 03-22-2002, 03:26 PM   #4
Tracy

Why would time, material, and energy be wasted on making commercial model holsters during 1942. I have several that only have maker marks dated 1942 also. I think they were pressing all available resources into making accessories for military use and might not have had enough inspectors to cover all areas. Check the spare magazine pouch and see if it will hold a P.38 Magazine also. Both of my 42's have a larger Mag pouch which will accept both a Luger Mag or P.38 Mag. Just a thought.

Unread 03-22-2002, 04:17 PM   #5
Marvin
User

There was a large commercial market for all type firearms and accessories during the war. Walther pistol buyers would have to wait months for them to arrive, so the market was there. Contrary to popular belief, most an German could buy a handgun, and the Aryan population in the occupied territories could purchase them too. All they needed was authorization from the local Gestapo office and they could carry the weapon. They just needed to give the Gestapo Officer a reason to need protection.

Even with the war going badly in 1944, the German military would not accept any substandard goods for the troops and if they were not Waffenamt inspected, they would not be accepted or paid for. The Germans are too structured to not follow rules. Just my opinion.

Marvin

Unread 03-23-2002, 02:08 AM   #6
Aaron
Banned

Default Magazine pouch is larger!

Strange, but the mag pouch is appreciably wider than it should be. It will accept a P-38 mag, but it is quite a squeeze to get it in. I don't know what the reason is for this, except poor quality control? I think it just was not made to military specs, as it does seem to be a commercial holster. Now the question is, what would be the right Luger for this holster if it is commercial?

Unread 03-23-2002, 02:15 AM   #7
Aaron
Banned

Default Forgot to mention

I forgot to mention that this holster came to me without a pistol, but it did contain a Weimar Navy loading tool!

Unread 03-23-2002, 06:01 AM   #8
Marvin
User

Default Re: Magazine pouch is larger!

Aaron,

Good question as to what is the correct Luger for the holster. Since it is dated 1942, I would guess, and only a guess, that I would have a nice late Weimar or early Nazi commercial pistol in it. Another that might be good would be a nice early Nazi Era Depot rework Luger with the SU4 type stamp, or the depot rework stamps.

As to the larger than normal mag pouch, I wonder if the manufacturer was trying to make if so either a Luger or P.38 would fit, with neither being a perfect fit???? I liek the holster myself!!

Marvin

Unread 03-23-2002, 10:41 PM   #9
Tracy

Default Re: Magazine pouch is larger!

Marvin, This is what I tried to say both of my 42's will accept either a P.38 or Luger Magazine. It appears the holsters were made to accept either Pistol. This is also the case with some of the VOPO holsters that accept both Luger or P.38 and also have a Luger tool Pouch in them. Still think some items were going to military or Quasi Military forces without Inspectors, lets see what else may turn up along these lines. Just like the Brown Belt loops on Black JOA 43 P.38 Holsters. Good collecting.

Bob

Unread 03-24-2002, 06:07 AM   #10
Marvin
User

Default Re: Interseting Holster

Bob,

You certainly could be correct that the holster went to the military as anything could have happened during these times. This particular holster maker is listed, but I have not seen picutes of his holsters in any books, that I remember offhand. I do seem to remember that holsters were fabricated in the post war period that would accept the Luger and the P.38. This post war type was more similar to the softshell P.38 holster than the hardshell Luger holster.

I don't know what type value would be on this wartime holster, but it sure is interesting!

Marvin