LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 12-22-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
Jpeeples
User

Default East Geman Rework Value

I have wanted to own a luger for a long time. I now have an opportunity to purchase one but I do not know a fair price to pay. The luger I want to buy is a east german rework and is faintly stamped on the under side of the barrel "SSME Plant City FL. Until recently I knew virtually nothing about lugers but I have searched the internet and now have a little knowledge. The luger appears to have never been fired. It still has a lot of cosmoline on the inside and outside. Inside of the barrel is in great shape. The barrel has a crown and N stamped on the under side. "1914" is stamped on top of the receiver. An old serial number is crossed out but appears to be "1436". It is replaced with "9704". The "o4" is on several other parts of the pistol. The toggle is stamped "S/42". There are also 4 proof marks on the right side of the receiver. I would surely appreciate knowing what is a fair price to pay for this gun and also how to tell if the receiver is Erfurt of DWM. Thank you very much.
Jpeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

This Luger is a cobbled together East German rework. The barrel is a commercial replacement and the balance of the pistol is a WW1 upper receiver with a WW2 toggle train. We would need to see photos of any proofs on the gun in order to help you with whether the frame and upper receiver are DWM or Erfurt.

Value right now would be in the $600 range, depending on whether it shoots.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
These VoPo pistols can vary quite a bit in price.
Some of these have a "dip" style refinish.
As a good shooter:
More than $500... Less than $800...
Marc
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
This Luger is a cobbled together East German rework.

Value right now would be in the $600 range, depending on whether it shoots.
These East German arsenal rebuilds are becoming collectible in their own right, with price commensurate with condition. There seems to be at least two different types of re-finishing; a light dip and a heavy tar-like finish. I have a P-38 with the light dip and it is more attractive than many war time finishes.

I take exception to the 'cobbled together' description. These were inspected and assembled to the same arsenal specifications as wartime pistols; in some cases by the same armorers and the same arsenal(s).

If it was in good condition, light dip (NO buffing!), and presentable, I'd say it would get $800 - $900 at a gun show, maybe more depending on geographical location. The $600 figure would be to a Luger collector; a person looking for high end collectibles, not your common buyer who just wants a nice looking shooter to turn heads with at the local gun club.

Pictures are a must.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
Jpeeples
User

Thanks very much. This information will be helpful in deciding if I want to purchase this pistol.
Jpeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Schupo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
These East German arsenal rebuilds are becoming collectible in their own right, with price commensurate with condition.

I take exception to the 'cobbled together' description. These were inspected and assembled to the same arsenal specifications as wartime pistols; in some cases by the same armorers and the same arsenal(s).

Pictures are a must.
I agree completely with postino that these DDR P.08s are legitimate variations that were officially rebuilt and/or newly manufactured by East German arsenals. While they may not be the prettiest flower in the bunch they are not "cobbled together" either. I personally think they are under-appreciated but you have to decide what you want to buy or collect.

Reading the new Police Luger book by Ed and Dwight will give one the proper perspective for these pistols.
Unread 12-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

I look at these VoPo refurbs (and the P-38 refurbs) like this: The history of these refurbs did not stop at the end of the war (either war). It continued until well into the 50's and 60's...Sometimes further...Still issued to German soldiers or at least held in reserve in Army depots...History marching on...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote