LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-18-2002, 06:33 PM   #1
HerbS/42

Default PMP ammo:Ja! Ulyanovsk ammo: Nein!

Just an ammo update for the shooters on this forum.

I already knew my 1938 mis-matched ("Gothic" S/42 toggle) VOPO rebuilt Luger (new, mint bore) hated Winchester 9mm and loved PMP (South African) 9mm. Aber shade, Century ran out of the preferred PMP ammo, but did get in a load of 124 gr. 9mm made in the "Ulyanovsk Machinery Plant" in Russia.

This Rus stuff has no trade name. It is steel cased, non-corrosive, lead-core ball. It has a 124 gr. rather pointy bullet. Cheap too: $5/50 delivered.

Okay, I needed ammo. Do I take the chance and order this stuff for my finicky Luger?

Ah, then Century got a new shipment of PMP 9mm! Hurrah! So I ordered 500 rounds of that ($55/delivered), and just to try it, ordered 50 rounds (1 box?) of the Russian 124 gr. stuff for test purposes.

The results: I snowshoed down to the river (lots of snow here lately) and ran a magazine full of each type thru my gun. I tried the new PMP stuff first (115 gr.-brass case-boxer primed-roundish nose FMJ).

Tah dah! A flawless performance. I have NEVER had a jam or failure to feed yet with PMP. Not with the first stuff I bought, and this new stuff works too (fingers crossed).

The Russian stuff? Well, it looked good and the first shot or two worked okay, but in one mag I had 2 jams and 1 failure to feed -- about the same as Winchester 115 gr. ball ("Winjammer.")

Furthermore, although the ad said 50 rounds for $5 and that's what I ordered, what came was 2 boxes of 20 rounds each (40 rounds). (This stuff is on sale this month I believe for $85/1000 delivered.)

Of course this is just ONE gun (mine). And I offer it for what it's worth, but so far PMP is the one brand of 9mm that works perfectly in my gun.

By the way, the PMP stuff now comes in 25 round boxes instead of the previous 50 round boxes.