LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-17-2002, 07:45 PM   #1
Frank Carver

Default 1942 German Luger "Help"

I posted a message on Saturday regarding a Luger I inherited from my grandfather. The orginal message read:

I inherited a German Luger from my grandfather who served in the Europe during WWII. I downloaded a sheet that would help me identify what exactly I have, but I don't know hardly anything about it. From what I have read, I see that it is common to find one with a mismatched serial number for the magazine. Well, the one that I have has all matching serial number including magazine, holster, and the little metal thing in the top of the holster. I was wondering if there is someone out there that can help me out with what it is I have and approximate price. I really appreciate any help.

I took of your ideas about loading pics and I did so. I have included a link to a webpage where I loaded some pictures of it. Thanks

Frank Carver

My Luger Pictures Webpage

Unread 03-17-2002, 08:36 PM   #2
Charlie Adams

Default Re: 1942 German Luger "Help"

Hi Frank You have a 1942 Mauser banner police prob eagle L on right side all matching in 1939 holster still OK worth 2500 to 3000 easy Charlie

Unread 03-17-2002, 08:54 PM   #3
R. Grady/Roadkill

Very nice set up. Do a little homework about taking care of it and the holster. Its not just something to put in a closet somewhere. Should you consider shooting it ask someone who knows what they are doing to check it out, but in my very humble opinion go get another 9mm for play and keep that one put up. Really a great gun and accessories. If possible get the history while someone can renember it.

Roadkill

Unread 03-17-2002, 08:54 PM   #4
dgp42
User

Frank, sure is a beauty! You've certainly inherited a super example of Mauser banner 1942 police. Definately a keeper. If you're not keeping it I'm sure you'll find interested parties on this site. Once again a real beauty. I was born in 1942 so that year holds a special interest for me.

Unread 03-17-2002, 09:03 PM   #5
Orv Reichert
RIP

Default 1942 Banner

Congrats! A real treasure! A COMPLETE commercial Mauser Banner rig..[police?] with all matching numbers including mags, holster, and tool!

Worth Big Bucks!

Don't store it in the holster!!

Orv Reichert

Unread 03-17-2002, 09:14 PM   #6
schwob
RIP

Default Re: 1942 Banner

Frank, it is a jewel. Please take the advice from the 'pros'. This Luger is TOO nice to shoot. It is a 'keeper', one for a collector. Congrats, enjoy!!

Unread 03-18-2002, 11:52 AM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default EXCELLENT Frank! :)
I'll give it a score of FOUR smiley faces...

It is a fine example of a Mauser police Luger rig. I suggest Keep the gun clean with Breakfree CLP. Don't get oil on the grips if you can help it. Don't store the Luger in the Holster, it will likely cause it to rust at some point. Keep bubblewrap inside the holster to hold it's shape... put some folded bubblewrap inside the holster loops to keep them from crushing flat with age. Make sure you read the article on leather care in the general information section of this web site.

Congrats on such a fine Luger... If you take a look at the Luger Centerfold photos at the link on the left and can take a nicely composed photo of the same type, I am sure our Webmaster would very much like to make it the next Luger of the Month for the Lugerforum...

I agree that you should not shoot this museum piece... find yourself a parts Luger to shoot... A broken part will reduce the value of your inheritance by Thousands!

Put together a few words about how you inherited it... and where it came from if you know... the other photos could be part of the photo display as well... At the very least, your fine Luger should be submitted for permanent display in our Owner's Gallery...

Welcome to the Lugerforum and thanks for sharing the photos of your Luger...

kind regards,

John Sabato

Unread 03-18-2002, 02:25 PM   #8
Marvin
User

Default Re: EXCELLENT Frank! :)
Frank,

I agree with John that you have a superb rig and I would like to see this as the "Pistol of the Month" with a write-up of how it came to be in your possesion.

Marvin

Unread 03-18-2002, 02:47 PM   #9
TIMOTHY CANNEY

Default Re: EXCELLENT Frank! :)
I GIVE IT 10 SMILEY FACES, AND MANY KUDOS TO THE PERSON OR PERSONS WHO SAW TO IT THE GUN WAS PRESERVED. NOW IT'S UP TO YOU TO DO THE SAME!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM YA' LUCKY DEVIL!

MY VERY BEST REGARDS!

TIM CANNEY