LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 08-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
skeeter4206
User

Default Shooting my 1900 AE luger with the rear peep sight

Well I did a little cleaning with some 600 grit sandpaper in the chamber helping smooth out the surface. I initially had pitting on the inside of the chamber, which I still did after the cleaning. Oiled up all the mechanical portions of the gun and went shooting again today.

Last time I went shooting I had problems with the spent shells being extracted from the gun. This time around I had no problem. I shot a box of 50 and no problems, except every now and then the last shell would mis-feed. Eventually Im going to order me a new aftermarket magazine.

As for the shooting of the gun with accuracy, It took me awhile just to get it on the paper. Me being a rifle shooter aint really got a whole lot of handgun experience. At 40 feet I finally realize that the gun was shooting high on the paper. I had a 12" x 12" paper targer,which I had to aim at the bottomof the target at this range just to get it on the paper. The grouping was O.K. I guess for not being a handgun shooter. I guess a little practice to figure out how the gun shoots before I get some good target shooting.

I guess maybe next time around Ill try aliitle bit further out and see if the POA will be a little closer to the POI as Im looking thru the sights.

At least the extraction problem stopped for now, so no major repair or barrel change out.

Any suggestions on better shooting with the lugers?
skeeter4206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Great news that you got your Luger to run reliabily.....sometimes that can be a nearly insurmountable problem. With whoever adding the rear peep sight, only time and evaluation will tell you where your luger's POI actually is located. If I might suggest...if you try shooting with a benchrest or over sandbags, you will be way more consistent until you learn the weapon.....Just a thought.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Skeeter, Since your luger is shooting high, perhaps you need a higher front sight blade. I do have in stock, both NOS originals or the higher Marbles gold bead type, of the period. TH
Unread 09-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
skeeter4206
User

Hey Tom

Looking at my rearpeep sight the center on the peep sight is right at 0.188" from the toggle itself. Not really sure what the height is on the original V-shape rear sight. My front sight is right at 0.361" from the barrel to the very top of the sight.

I am curious about the front sights that you have mentioned and what they look like andmaybe the dimensions I have enclosed could help determine what my next step would be.

I am also needing to get a new magazine for this luger, and I understand you would be the man to talk to about this. Mine does have the wooden base on it and I would wanna try and get another one that looks like it asa replacement.

Alos ifyou wanna PM the way to make these orders so I can order all that I need at one time. I am looking to maybe make an order in the next upcoming week or so.

Thanks
Unread 09-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
skeeter4206
User

I was just going thru the motions of pulling the triggerand seeing what the front of the gun does. The gun shooting high may just be me. Cause Megoing thru the motions Inoticed how the Font of the gun kicked upwardsand to the right. Its a funky trigger pull to get usedto compared to someofmy other guns I shoot regularly. Practice, practice, practice is probably my best option to figure outwhat is really occuuring here.
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Douglas Jr.
User

You're on the right track doing such side by side comparations. It's an empirical way to learn.
A lot of technical details became much more easier to understand.

Douglas
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Douglas Jr. for your post: