LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 08-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #21
skeeter4206
User

Thats interesting about the rust bluing. I Learned something new tonight. Cause most of the redish areas on the gun under a light does not have an exfoliation or scaling of the basemetal. Now around the crest the pitting does look like its got some rust in the bottom of the pits as seen with the digitalpics I took today and looked at on my computer.
skeeter4206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #22
skeeter4206
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
As Bill said, Hoppes is a good cleaner but not a preservative. A light oil, even 3-in-1, will inhibit rust much better. It appears that you may have some active red rust on the side plate. This can be removed by lightly cleaning with 0000 grade steel wool and light oil. It won't restore the original surface but you will be surprised how much better it will look. It might also improve the chamber crest appearance.
Ron,

I do appreciate the 0000 idea of the steel wool. I used it today on the gun. It took some of it off around the handrest on the other handle area. The side plate stiill has a good redish look in them areas. I guess, which I just learned thru this thread, is the rust bluing of the gun. The crest still saw the pitting area,which REALLY sucks. But it is what it is. Thanks for your input on this. And yeah I cahnged from hoppes to 3-in-1 oil to store it away.
skeeter4206 is offline   Reply With Quote