LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 07-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #21
JRS
User

When you invest in a 1911A1, don't cut financial corners. Buy an Ed Brown, a Les Bauer or a Volkmann. You will spend $2,000 and up, but you won't be getting guns made with inferior parts and you won't be disappointed. You get what you pay for. I had to learn from experience and a lot of money wasted on lesser manufactured 1911s.
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #22
padredan
User

I will agree somewhat, I tend to use brown, bauer and wilson parts on my 1911's ,but have never owned a complete pistol. I am lucky that i can build my own. And lucky i was trained some of the best armors in the military at the time. It is really just parts and they need to be quality and then fitted and tuned, that is what you are paying for. These prices make alot of these firearms out of reach for the average person. Are they worth it ? that is up to the buyer to decide. I have worked on the rock islands and several other phillipean made sub contracted 1911's , i mostly tell the owners to sell them ,once you pay me and put in quality parts to fix them you will be upside down and still have a gun that is at the best average, but if not fired alot and usung standard ball ammo ,they should be ok.
Unread 07-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #23
padredan
User

back to this discussion how a 95year old luger was better than four sig sauers. one a .22 or the sig mosquito , is very ammo sensitive and usualy picky, i have never owned one that worked out of the box, they have to be tweaked , once done they are fine shooters, but sadly they do not tend to work out of the box. the others hard to say , but sure not up to the sig quality i know, as far as accuracy, i own three lugers , an erfurt is my shooter, all are nice , but none shoot any where near what my sigs will. alot of variables can come into play. The sigs owner should sure be seeking out a good gunsmith or be on the phone to sig customer service, no sig i have ever owned out side of the mosquito 's had problems like the ones you describe.
Unread 07-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #24
padredan
User

my time in the military the issue side arm was the 1911a1,mine was a remington rand ,world war two issue,the military at that time really did not put alot of emphise on handgun training, it was a fall back weapon anyway. after joining the airborne, i was selected for armors school it was there i met the old school masters of the 1911, i absorbed all the knowledge they would trust me with and it is with me to this day. 100 years later and going strong, that says something about the 1911 platform. now to the sigs, after leaving the service i found a job i liked with the texas dps, thats dept of public safety, the title is a bit deceptive lol. issue for dps is the sig sauer in .357 sig, a round i learned to love and trust. i am showing a picture of a sig 229 in .357 cal, with extra .40 sw upper, this was my duty weapon, and yes we can buy them on retirement. it has thousands of rounds fired through it, only failures were with reloaded practise ammo, 100 percent reliable, the other one is a sig 226 that was tossed fro ma vehiche at around 100 mph, i took it to a sig armors school and it was rebuilt during the school, allso 100 percent reliable, either one i will and do trust my life to. Dps considers these the best in the world for use by their dept, i agee. padre
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04779.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	27837  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04769.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	27838  

Unread 07-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #25
Terry Tiell
User

You have to understand I have to sell the wife on getting the gun. She had HATED guns her whole life and I finally have her to the point where she wants to learn to shoot the Luger and that a $500 1911 is ok, beyond that she's gonna balk at the price and shut the whole thing down and possibly be turned off to guns as they're "too expensive". The same shop has a stainless 1911 match Colt for $1800 that I'd LOVE to get but I know what will happen if I bring it up, she'll shoot it down. I figure like this, I'll get a decent 1911 for $500 and take her out shooting it and the Luger. Tax time I HOPE to find someone that I can send my Luger out to be professionally restored, then I'll start saving up to get a NICE 1911.

You gotta take baby steps with someone who has been deathly afraid of guns since they were a child.
Unread 07-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #26
padredan
User

good process, and like i said not everyone can afford to pay the prices of some of todays top models, i think alot are way over priced to.
Unread 07-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #27
Terry Tiell
User

Most people can't run out and buy a top of the line Cadillac for thier first car but a Chevy ain't bad.

I would never have been able to go out and buy my Luger, the only reason I have it was cause it was passed down to me. This .45 will be the first new gun I ever buy.
Unread 08-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #28
SIGP2101
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zeleny View Post
Try a P210.
I have been shooting, collecting modifying them since 1986. Never ever had a jam except when I was shooting .22 conversion unit prior to firing 9 mm on the same frame.
SIGP2101 is offline   Reply With Quote