LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 07-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
gerhardt
User

Default First Luger?

I have a chance to purchase my first Luger. I am a 1911/a1 collector but know nothing about Lugers. I won't see this Luger for about three weeks. I have only one picture of it but it is so poor, posting it wouldn't help. Here is the information I have so far: DWM 1918, 4" bbl., German military and Nazi marks, SN#282. How in three weeks am I going to get myself up to speed on Lugers so I can tell how original and correct this pistol is and what would be a fair price? At this point I feel a bit overwhelmed. Any information, advice, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
gerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

For starters, I would read as much as you can in the appropiate section of the site, including the "frequently asked questions" section, so you can at least have some idea of what you will be looking at. Also, if you provide your location, members close by may be willing to help.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,164 Times in 1,700 Posts

I would not expect to see Nazi marks on a 1918. You probably should get some additional information and confirmation of the markings.
Unread 07-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts

You can not get 'up-to-speed' in such a short time

First, find out why a WW1 gun has nazi markings?

refurb?

Is it all matching

is it all original?

Price reasonable?

Is it what you want?

Welcome to the forum, and yes, lots of clear pictures can help us, help you
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
gerhardt
User

Thanks so much to all of you for the welcome to the forum. I live in western New York State in case there are members in that area who could help me.

Yes, even though I know next to nothing about Lugers, I was wondering about the "Nazi markings". Knowing the seller, I'm guessing there are no Nazi markings on the pistol. I think he thinks there should be Nazi markings on it and so assumes that whatever markings are on it are Nazi. Of course when I see it, that question will be answered. Also from the lousy picture I have, it appears that the barrel has a brighter blued finish than the receiver which appears to have more of a matte blue finish. The picture is of the left side and other than the serial # that is all I can tell from it.
Unread 07-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhardt View Post
Thanks so much to all of you for the welcome to the forum. I live in western New York State in case there are members in that area who could help me...
Western NY state is a pretty big area...There are a couple of us hereabouts; Curly1 is one...

If you're across the street from me, I could walk over and take a look, but I'm pretty much a dummy...

("Dummies In Action!" was our motto in the Kimberly-Clark #2 Mill/Millwrights section...)
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
gerhardt
User

Rochester area.
Unread 07-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhardt View Post
Rochester area.
I loved a girl in Rochester once...or was it twice???

(Ya gotta love Groucho Marx...)
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 07-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,359 Posts

Gerhardt,

First, I'll extend my welcome to the forum!

Next, I'll tell you that I live near Ithaca.

And last but not least, is some of what I think about what everybody calls Luger University:

I kind of agree with Ed, in that the learning curve in the time frame you mention is asymptotic to vertical. Though a virtually lifelong fan of the Parabellum pistol, my actual hands-on experience is scant more than a year. Previous to that, I'd only seen a few in person in a guns shop, and had the opportunity to see a collection that stupefied me at the time, in its presentation of so many variations and numerous accoutrements. My reading on this forum has helped me identify/confirm the stuff I remembered seeing back then (in the 70's!) but I think I have forgotten more than I remember for sure, and most of it is now a dull, Luger-y blur. At the gun shop, they had a bunch in a display case, but all I took away from that encounter was "DWM", "matching serial numbers", and "$400"--I guess was the price for a collectible one. And since I wouldn't have a pistol permit for another 40 years, I could look, as it was held out in front of me, but I couldn't even touch!

Last year, I filled out the paperwork and purchased the official fingerprinting and processing because I'd decided I was to be a Luger owner. And though I hope to have made a little progress in my freshman year at L.U., months ago I was ignorant as a stump about any Luger.

April 2011, my permit was on the way, and I bid online on some Lugers at auction and wound up with the 5 I have now. I had learned enough about pricing from reading the forum to bid in a way that I really didn't overspend at all, and now I have five shooters of different barrel length and caliber, and also a .22 conversion kit. I replaced a couple broken or missing parts here and there, to minimize their issues, and they are actually pretty nice now. (The big project will be to restore the ground-off stock lug of the 1917 LP.08)

In the meantime, reading, reading, reading...every book I can get my hands on, including Jan Still's excellent latest edition, and reading, reading, reading the forum. Practice by trying to evaluate the configurations of Lugers posted on the forum, then check my work by reading what the WAY more knowledgeable and experienced collectors--the guys that started when I probably should have, and before, have to say. Many here much younger than I am have tons more expertise in checking these things out than I do. Collectibles occupy a higher economic niche than shooters, with maybe some overlap. Nobody wants to overpay for an investment gun, or be hoodwinked by a clever manipulation of parts, and eventually I think I'll have the educational and analytical clout to make a fairly reasoned choice in the purchase of a strictly collectible Luger. And if circumstances allowed, I would ALWAYS post good pics and description here on the forum, of any prospects. It's done all the time, and I think it's the best resource available for a potential collector/aficionado.

To sum it up, I believe that there's no end to learning about the Parabellum pistol If one is said to have "graduated" from Luger University, don't worry, they're still there, doing graduate work, then doctoral theses such as the reference books generated by the Luger historians and authors on board. And once these guys get their PhL's, they're doing post-doc work! There's always something to learn about Lugers and their history.
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
Nomadr
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I live in Rochester, Would be happy to help out. I sent you a PM. Ironically I own a 1918/1920 DWM with a Nazi rework HZa.

Bob
Nomadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
gerhardt
User

Thanks to all who have replied to my post so far. You have been very helpful. What a great forum!
Unread 07-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
whcoyote
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadr View Post
I live in Rochester, Would be happy to help out. I sent you a PM. Ironically I own a 1918/1920 DWM with a Nazi rework HZa.

Bob
Your 1918/1920 is more likely to be a 1918 pistol with Weimar-era property stamp. The 1920 signifies that it was government property. It is not to be considered as a date.

Last edited by whcoyote; 07-21-2012 at 11:59 AM.
whcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
gerhardt
User

I have had a chance to inspect the pistol and I will try to describe it to the best of my ability as one who knows very little about Lugers.

The barrel is an unmarked replacement. It is more of a polished blue than the rest of the pistol which I suspect has been refinished. The bore is in excellent condition. Due to the lack of wear on the barrel, either it is a recent replacement or the pistol has not been used much since it was attached. The small parts are a matte blue and not the "straw" color I have been told to expect if the finish is original. The grips are plastic and have circular markings but not the bulls eye pattern that I have read about. The right side grip screw is missing and the magazine appears to be aluminum.

I will try to best of my ability to describe the markings. To the right of the serial number is a circular mark the looks like a star burst or flower blossom. The small flat on the left side of the extractor has an eagle marking. The right side rail of the frame has stampings that I can't read but suspect might be import marks. The right side of the receiver behind the barrel has what look to be proof marks but they are stacked and not side by side. To the right of those is a Nazi eagle without numbers under it. To the right of that is another eagle with its wings upright. Lastly the front strap of the grip has what look to be unit markings. They are: S. XVI. After the XVI is a flower blossom marking.

Clearly the pistol appears to be a shooter. Any comments as to the value or anything else that might be helpful would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #14
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Without photos we are just taking a guess....
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #15
Douglas Jr.
User

Looks like a VoPo Luger (former East German Police refurbished Luger).
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
gerhardt
User

It was an auction inspection and I couldn't take pictures.
Unread 07-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #17
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

A shooter is a shooter is a shooter.
All the cool markings in the world rarely make a difference.
$750 tops.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote