LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 07-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
paid4c4
User

Default 1941 byf P-08 Military Luger PHOTO'S ADDED

I recently acquired a 1941 byf P-08 Luger with black grips. I am not calling it a "Black Widow" but I believe some do. All the numbers match and it operates smooth with a nice muzzle and barrel. The finish is thin but original with a good strawberry. It appears this luger was carried a lot but not shoot much. I'd rather have the thin original finish than a re-blue. There are no import markings and I believe it to be a battlefield bring home. The magazine has the 08 markings and appears to be original for the luger but it doesn't have a matching serial number which my 1915 luger does? I've cleaned it and shot Winchester white box 9mm through it. It is very accurate and shoots smooth and well. I'll post photographs tomorrow or Wednesday. I was curious about the magazine and about the rarity. Overall it's a nice historical piece and I'm glad to have it in my collection. Also anything I should look for?
Bill
PS: I'm also looking for a correct tool and holster.

Last edited by paid4c4; 07-24-2012 at 11:17 PM.
paid4c4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Bill, If your 41byf is early enough to have the E/655 inspector's markings, I have the correct mag loading tool for you. TH
Unread 07-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paid4c4;217199 The finish is thin but original with a good [COLOR="Magenta"
strawberry.[/COLOR]
Bill, did you mean "straw"? Straw colored small parts were not produced after a point a few years before your '41 was made?

Here's a good example of how pics can help us help you figure out what is going on with your gun.
Unread 07-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

Bill, Welcome to the forum.

Often the salt bluing of these Lugers turned some of the parts a "plum" color due to bluing process temperature and the alloy content of the steel involved. I have a couple that are like this.

If you have original bakelite grips on this Luger, it would be correct to find an un-numbered bakelite base magazine for it.

Marc
Unread 07-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
paid4c4
User

I did mean straw, pardon my mistake as I was eating a strawberry short cake while posting the tread. I'll take some different pictures as those don't look good. The serial number is 9650, year 1941.
Bill

Last edited by paid4c4; 07-24-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Unread 07-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

Bill, is there a suffix letter under the serial number on the front of the frame (above the trigger guard). If so, that's part of the pistol's complete serial number .

you appear to have the correct matching magazine for your 41 byf. Does it have the correct WaAmt acceptance marking, and "fxo" stamped on it.

You are right to never consider making any changes to it like refinishing. It is a good honest Luger that was likely a battlefield capture. The wear demonstrates it's authenticity.

Do be careful about firing it. Breaking an original numbered part reduces it's value (historically and financially) quite a bit.

All in all, you have a very nice Luger.

Marc
Unread 07-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
paid4c4
User

Marc, thank you for the comments. There is a letter on the front of the frame which is an "N". I'll get some better pictures of the magazine for further discussion. I agree with you about shooting an historical numbered piece but I like to verify every firearm I own as to it's ability to work as originally built. I'm glad I shoot this one as it was truly a joy to shoot and as with most of my pistols it's more accurate than I am. The barrel on this luger is in great condition with no pitting or rust and sharp lands and groves. Even though the finish is thin I'm very happy with this piece of history.
Bill

Last edited by paid4c4; 07-25-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Unread 07-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Bill, please post a picture of the serial number on the frame front. Chances are the suffix is a "P", not a "N". Thanks!!
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
paid4c4
User

Frank, I'll take pictures of the serial and front mark. It could be a "P" like its written in script. According to the markings on the side it is (46 & 47. Mauser military proofs. S/42, 42, and BYF coded Lugers. Left and right proofs appear on barrel, right proof on breechblock.) I guess the BYF code covers 1941 lugers. It also appears to have the numbers 881 underneath the serial number on the bottom of the barrel. Is there no end to the numbers, marks and proofs on lugers!
Bill