LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-11-2002, 04:08 PM   #1
Ga�«tan

Default OT: Darn &?%#@%! screw!!!

Hello,

Sorry, I'm OT but I need help! I am trying to disassemble a Mauser 93 rifle purchased recently for cleaning. The trigger guard front screw is stuck to death and refuses to yield. Over the past few days I have tried repeatedly to unscrew it, have used liberaly WD 40 on head (on screw head, not mine...)to no avail. Using boiling water to heat it will probably mar the finish and wood. Don't want to apply too much pressure to avoid breaking the screw either. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Unread 03-11-2002, 04:20 PM   #2
66mustang

Default Re: OT: Darn &?%#@%! screw!!!

I have used the same words, I am sure. Instead of WD-40, there are some other lubricants out there designed for stuck screws. You apply a couple of drops and hope it drips down. I'd try something else before I forced it.

You could also try a screw driver in the screw top, applying heat to the screwdriver that would apply heat to the screw. Try not to apply too much heat to the screw driver, or it could discolor, wood or the screw. You can use a propane torch (hard to control) or use a soldering gun.

I have broken bolts off of engine blocks and other objects, so I know it doesn't take that much pressure to screw up something like that!

Ed

Unread 03-11-2002, 04:22 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Get an impact screwdriver like they use on motorcycles

and get a bit that fits the screw EXACTLY and whack it with a sledge to loosen it. The fit of the screwdrive bit MUST be exact to the screw slot! and the rifle should be held firmly in a padded vise to prevent damage.

GOOD LUCK
Unread 03-11-2002, 07:59 PM   #4
Heinz
User

Default Re: Get an impact screwdriver like they use on motorcycles

Go to a more serious penetrating oil than WD40. WD40 is a water displacer, it dries to a sticky film when left for a couple of days. Try "Breakfree" or, if there is an aviation store around you there is an aviation product called "Mouse Milk" that is incredible when left to sit a couple of days. I have never used an impact screwdriver but would bet that John's advice is solid. Be sure to remove all oil from the screw head and slot area so you do not slip.

Unread 03-11-2002, 08:15 PM   #5
R. Grady/Roadkill

I've used several types of penetrating oils, most are about the same but work well. When I hit the level of frustration you are at its best to do something else before serious damage is done. Its amazing what 24rs of down time can do.If nothing else works, get a screw driver the same size as the screw slot, get a buddy to hold down gun, insert blade into slot, attach vise grips at flat part of screw driver blade very tight as close as possible to screw head and put even pressure on. Good Luck!

Roadkill

Unread 03-11-2002, 08:23 PM   #6
R. Grady/Roadkill

Sorry, I forgot to add to clean out screw slot. A lot of crud builds up in those things. Use a smaller screw driver and tap it in the slot back and forth.

Roadkill

Unread 03-11-2002, 08:32 PM   #7
Steve
User

Default Re: Patience

Remmber that you can use a penetrating oil and let it soak for several days and no harm is done. If you try to force it before then, you can break the screw. I take it that there is no real rush so have patience and exchaust all methods that do not have a possibility of damage before using methods that can cause damage.

Unread 03-11-2002, 08:40 PM   #8
Viggo G Dereng

Default Re: BEFORE: You Get an impact screwdriver

Before trying to impact torque the screw loose.(Which is the last resort)

First place a small amount of "Liquid Wrench" (available at most Automotive and Hardware Stores)Do not apply excessively, Just enough to wet the ring around the screw.

Allow to set for 1 hour then wet again and allow to set.

Do not rush the act apply many times over a 24 hour period.

Then;

Try using a screwdriver that you do not mind hammering the end of the handle while applying torque by hand to loosen the screw.

FIRST APPLY TORQUE BY HAND THEN TAP THE END OF THE HANDLE OF THE SCREWDRIVER WHILE APPLYING THE TORQUE LIGHTLY AND TAP LIGHTLY AT FIRST THEN WITH INCREASING TORQUE AND HAMMERING.

KEEP INCREASING TORQUE AND IMPACT UNTIL THE SCREW LOOSENS OR BREAKS.

If you wish to use an Impact Driver Do this as above described in CAPITALS.

If Breaking the screw seems extreme I'm sorry,

I know of no other option !

If this happens you must then employ the aid of a "GOOD GUNSMITH" to drill and tap out the remains of the broken screw .(possibly a special thread not usually found in Hardware Stores)

Wishing you LOTS OF LUCK !

ViggoG

Unread 03-11-2002, 11:10 PM   #9
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default BEFORE: You USE an impact screwdriver!

Definitely use LIQUID WRENCH as Viggo Suggests...

The Impact screwdriver is the LAST RESORT... Of course I thought that was where you were when you asked for help!@

Once again, after several days of liquid wrench applications try again... GOOD LUCK!

-John

Unread 03-12-2002, 12:11 AM   #10
Viggo G Dereng

Default Re: Excuse Me John S;

I did not mean to step on your suggestion .

I started with the intention of bringing in "Liquid Wrench and got carried away with some of the problems I've had in the Machine Shop removing screw threads that were broken off that 'L W" would have removed with ease .

Incidentally There are at least a dozen similar products that work equally as well and in some cases better .

Again sorry if I seemed to step on your line!

ViggoG

Unread 03-12-2002, 12:28 AM   #11
sidhartha
User

Default Re: Excuse Me John S;

The best stuff that I have found is called kroil. We use it on huge presses that date back to WWI. A local hardware store might have it.

Unread 03-12-2002, 01:29 AM   #12
Steve
User

Default Use of a drill press

I just remembered an article about this same topic that I read sveral years ago. In it the author explained how to use a drill press when removeing stuck screws. He clamped the gun so that the offending screw was positioned properly and put a srewdriver bit in the drill chuck. Then the drill was lowered and a wrench was used to turn the bit. The drill press keeps the screwdriver bit from riding up and out of the slot. I have never used this but thought I would pass it along. I wish I could give credit to the author but at this point in time I have no idea who he was.

Unread 03-12-2002, 01:32 AM   #13
Thor
User

Default Re: Kroil is Cool!!

Brownells sells Kroil Oil on line! I use it to get out those pesky small sear bar plunger retainer pin, when they stick, those little dudes are only approximately 3/64" diameter and stick like made. Kroil is suppose to be really good for getting out stubborn barrel fouling. I also like JB bore paste and FLITZ for those. Thorman

http://www.brownells.com/Product/productDetail.asp?ProductID=471100008&CategoryID=0

Stuff is red and smells real good too!

Unread 03-12-2002, 01:34 AM   #14
Thor
User

Default Re: Use of a drill press

This sounds like a good idea, I think when you reach this point you must conclude one of two things will happen when you begin! The head will twist off the screw, or the screw will come out! Do you feel lucky, well do you .......??

Unread 03-12-2002, 10:19 AM   #15
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default GREAT IDEA STEVE! :)

I have used this technique with success years ago on stuck scope ring screws and Mauser 98 trigger guard screws too and there is much less chance of damaging the weapon by slipping...

This should be tried before resorting to the Impact Screwdriver...

-John

Unread 03-13-2002, 04:00 PM   #16
Bernard
User

Great Idea.

One thing to remember when using Kroil or Liq Wrench (I like both)- give it time. I put a little on the screw, then insert the screwdriver or bit and lightly tap the bit with a hammer to set up a vibration thta, hopefully, will break some of the corrosion and let the fluid get down to the lower threads. I do this a couple of times a day for several days, if needed. Only then try to get the screw out.

Another method I have seen work - Get one of those micro butane torches and heat only the screw head little. Then take the torch away and apply some parrafin wax (I guess oil would work also) and it will wick in as the metal cools.

Unread 03-13-2002, 04:10 PM   #17
Thor
User

Just took out a very stubborn screw that it was very obvious that I would break the head or strip out the groove but I pushed the screw driver into the while Natalie gently tapped the handle end of the screw driver, took about 10 taps and out it came! Thor

Unread 03-13-2002, 08:49 PM   #18
Steve
User

One of the things stessed in the write-up about the drill press was to not rush! The author said he would try to turn the screw and if it did not work, he put some of the penetrating oil on it and let it soak for a couple of days. Some of the screws took several weeks of work to extract.

Unread 03-14-2002, 12:11 AM   #19
Ga�«tan

Default Thank you all for the suggestions! (EOM)