LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 05-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #21
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
I do, however, wonder what process is used to make "aluminized steel" which was touted by Ford, I think, some years ago, in reference to body panels. I know it's also used in automotive exhaust systems.
I believe they use a hot dip process, much like hot dip galvanizing (simply put: you dip it in molten metal). An automotive engineer told me that it often replaces zink on parts where the temperature varies a lot (like on exhaust systems), as the thermal expansion of aluminum is more similar to steel. The hot dip method is a bit "sloppy" and not really suited for gun parts where close tolerances are needed.

For guns, I'd say that any application of metal needs to be done chemically or by electrolysis to be able to control the thickness and to get a perfectly uniform coat. I have never seen any of those processes used for aluminum, but it's just another metal so I guess it can be done?
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #22
GySgt1811
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Urrp - 2

Steinar,

Making fun of a man's pistol is worse than making fun of his wife; one can get you punched, the other can get you shot. Please realize my comment was meant in fun (before you put a 9mm hole in my rear!). (Actually, another 9mm hole; but that's another story.) Your lovely Luger sure is...unique.

Best Regards,

John
GySgt1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #23
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle View Post
I believe they use a hot dip process, much like hot dip galvanizing (simply put: you dip it in molten metal). An automotive engineer told me that it often replaces zink on parts where the temperature varies a lot (like on exhaust systems), as the thermal expansion of aluminum is more similar to steel. The hot dip method is a bit "sloppy" and not really suited for gun parts where close tolerances are needed.
Ollie,

Yes, that figures. That would mean that one could aluminize a steel piece first, to establish an aluminum outer surface which could, in turn, be worked carefully down to a desired smoothness, and then anodized purple!

An explanation for why Al is used rather than Zn for repeatedly heated and cooled components may lie in aluminum's higher ductility than zinc. Aluminum is generally softer than zinc, more ductile/less brittle. It would tend to hang on during dimensional fluctuations of the steel below, whereas zinc would tend more to crack off.
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #24
Steinar
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt1811 View Post
Steinar,

Making fun of a man's pistol is worse than making fun of his wife; one can get you punched, the other can get you shot. Please realize my comment was meant in fun (before you put a 9mm hole in my rear!). (Actually, another 9mm hole; but that's another story.) Your lovely Luger sure is...unique.

Best Regards,

John
Absolutely no hard feeling. It's ment to bring out a smile at the range, just by beeing ..unique
Unread 05-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #25
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Ollie,

Yes, that figures. That would mean that one could aluminize a steel piece first, to establish an aluminum outer surface which could, in turn, be worked carefully down to a desired smoothness, and then anodized purple!

An explanation for why Al is used rather than Zn for repeatedly heated and cooled components may lie in aluminum's higher ductility than zinc. Aluminum is generally softer than zinc, more ductile/less brittle. It would tend to hang on during dimensional fluctuations of the steel below, whereas zinc would tend more to crack off.
If you could apply a very thin coat of aluminum, yes. I don't know if that's possible with aluminum though. The hot dip process will more than likely leave a coat that's too thick, and with some build-up in the nooks and crannies. I'm comparing with the problems you can have when using other metal coatings and if you compare with nickel, the only process that gives you a uniform coat is electroless plating. Even electrolysis can cause problems, as it won't cover evenly on irregular shapes. Then again, there might be a process that allows you to get an aluminum coat that's good enough for guns.

And you're probably right about the ductility. It has been quite a while since I discussed this with the engineer, but the problem with zinc is that it can start flaking if the metal underneath is expanding. This could very well be a matter of ductility rather than thermal expansion rate.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 11:38 PM   #26
rollin59
User

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinar View Post
Anodizing does indeed look like fun. Wonder how it would work on steel..

Btw. I thought all Lugers where painted like this
Well, I guess if you hafta do something like this, at least it's well done. Personally, I like a little Krylon flat black rattle can.

Unread 05-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #27
Steinar
User

The more I look at it, the more I realize that I created something ugly as a mud fence..
Some times there should be a "undo" buttom in life
Unread 05-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #28
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I don't think that it would be that difficult to "undo" that paint scheme if you so desired.....a bit of stripper, and away it goes.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote