LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
bulletproof-791
New User

Default HELP ME!! 1918 Luger

1st of thanks for looking and i am a VIRGIN to the luger.... got this gun at a gun auction today for $500.00 not sure if i did good or not i took a few photos and they did not turn out perfect, i will give all info on gun.........here we go

1 ..........the gun has been REBLUED
2...........grips have been replaced

PLEASE I NEED HELP.....

CORRECTION ON THE NUMBERS......160

the way i have luck is i wasted my $$$$

3...........the word GESICHERT, is where the safety is ?

date ontop of frame 1918

on top a CROWN over the word ERFURT & the #78 ?

some kind of marks

left side of gun

right side of gun

under the BBL is 160

Last edited by bulletproof-791; 03-27-2012 at 10:33 PM.
bulletproof-791 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to bulletproof-791 for your post:
Unread 03-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
lugersrkewl
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

if it shoots you did fine. especially since its 9 mm. it looks like a 1918 military model. not the correct grips though they look custom. alot more could be ascertained by the marks on the right of the slide as far as history. But you have a shooter non collector luger and you got it pretty cheap. shooters should go between 400-600 but I cant find any. gesichert is safe in German
lugersrkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to lugersrkewl for your post:
Unread 03-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
TheRomanhistorian
User

Hi Scott, you did very well for $500 (even if it is reblued and has incorrect grips). If you provide all the serial numbers/numbers on parts that would be more useful information (any unit marks?). I think you did well, hope you enjoy it for some time to come and welcome aboard!

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

You have a reblued, Erfurt, mismatched shooter with replacement grips and a modern, Mauser takedown lever. Your grips have what is perhaps the largest "Million Dollar Chip" I have ever seen, but you are right smack in the middle of fair on the price.

Last edited by alanint; 03-27-2012 at 10:16 PM.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
bulletproof-791
New User

"Million Dollar Chip" ??? whats that ???

8,82 underneath the barrel ????

all 3 of the marks have what seems like little crowns above them

this is the last of the 4 marks from right to left ...i can make that 1 out

Last edited by bulletproof-791; 03-27-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Unread 03-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
TheRomanhistorian
User

If you look under the safety, there's that big gap where there should actually be more grip. Often, when people removed the grip they weren't careful and that could result in a chunk of the grip being chipped off when removed.

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
Unread 03-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
bulletproof-791
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRomanhistorian View Post
If you look under the safety, there's that big gap where there should actually be more grip. Often, when people removed the grip they weren't careful and that could result in a chunk of the grip being chipped off when removed.
I see what you meen........do you know where i can get a set of grips that would be more to factory ??
Unread 03-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
TheRomanhistorian
User

There are several places that sell the grips but I believe Lugerdoc or Hugh Clark (both are chaps here on the forum) would be the best to approach about those if you want to stick with people from the forum, if memory serves. I don't know if you necessarily need to replace your grips if you like them though and they don't look half bad.

Unread 03-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
lugersrkewl
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

1. crown over erfurt
the manufactures emblem of the arsenal of prussian state that purchased two private factorys and started producing lugers around 1910.
the number 78 is supposed to be last two digits of serial that should be found on almost every part of gun along with inspector proofs on every piece as erfurt was very diligent with quality control.
2. the three marks on the right are a german military received proof. should be a crown over w ,p, and b with a crowned eagle last.
3. the 8.85 is the measure of the land of the barrel and designates it as 9mm.

the gun will never be a collector because of its state. It is a cool piece of history that you can have fun with and shoot at a good price. My two cents keep the grips and buy some bullets.
lugersrkewl is offline   Reply With Quote