LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 03-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts
Default FN 1900 - Real or Fake???

First off, I have an FN 1900...and it does resemble the one linked below...but there are several small differences...

FWIW, the FN 1900 has been a favorite pistol of the Chinese...There are hundreds if not thousands of copies of it made by the Chinese...Some extremely crude, some very close copies...Some copies have misspellings; some have wrong proofs; some say 'Mauser' (no, I don't know why)...Some have the wrong grip fastening...

This one popped up on GB...At first, I thought it was a very nice example...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=277227790

...Then I scrolled down and saw the 'Fire' marking (in French, 'FEU', like mine)...

...And the overhang at the back of the grip is too pointed, compared to mine...

The script on the left side of the slide doesn't match mine either...Mine has 'Belgique' where this one has 'Brownings Patent'...My 'Brownings Patent' is on the sideplate...

But it's the safety marking that raises a red flag in my mind...It looks too much like an electric pencil engraving, not a stamping...

I assume anyone who reads this is familiar with the FN 1900...What do you think??? I have no intention of buying/bidding on this example...I'm just naturally suspicious...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Patronen
User

Rich, I don't own a 1900 and not an expert on them but that one on GB, has all the correct markings from what I can tell comparing it to one in a reference book I own. It has the markings in the right places etc. The serial number dates to 1907 manufacture, between317501-400000. the FEU marking is a little rough, that's for sure. The Chinese copies of the 1900 I have seen tend to have like you said miss-spelled words and logos etc. Also the 1900 copies sometimes have a different grip angle as well and seem really roughly machined. I remember awhile back you posting your 1900 and I think your serial number dated to a later build gun. My book doesn't say anything about the differences with regards to the Browning patent and Belique markings. The one from the book resembles the GB pistol. The book does talk about a grip logo difference from earlier ones to later. The GB pistol having the later type.
I'll look around through my library, I might have more info and not know it. Maybe someone else will chime in with more info.
Patronen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
alvin
User

Only one thing I don't feel comfortable -- the front face of this gun is NOT supposed to be blued. I cannot tell that from this gun's advertisement pictures -- is that gun blue, or patina?

So far, my instance is still one of the best ones listed for sell in the past five years (a few others were in comparable condition from a few sellers, not many). For comparison:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/993816300...lster_Mint.htm

[Edit] Since the gun is not available for checking, I cannot tell that slope for sure based on memory or picture. But the front face is white, I am sure.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
alvin
User

This is not a Chinese copy though.

Really nice Chinese copies, no matter it's Broomhandle, or FN 1900, were made by big factories (relatively) with good equipments and skillful workers. They did not apply fake marks on their products. Clear identification was either written in Hanzi or Latin characters on those "hi-fi" copies. Capable people felt proud on their products, that's same everywhere.

Crude copies were made by small factories, or even by blacksmith. On those things, we see "Wauser", "Mauser" etc. Not because Chinese at that time were fooled to believe those crude guns were German or Belgian products, it's fashionable to own pieces having some foreign letters at that time, no one really read those decoration letters anyway, and those copies had one big advantage over foreign products, they were dirt cheap..... the reasoning process was not unlike today's collector could buy a few reblued C&R, due to cost reason.

Picture of a high quality copy:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JL.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	24995  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	24996  

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	24997  

Unread 03-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
So far, my instance is still one of the best ones listed for sell in the past five years...
I agree. If I were a collector, I would have snapped it up. I am somewhat surprised that at least one Real Collector® of FN 1900's here on the forum did not 'trade up' and buy it...
Unread 03-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
I agree. If I were a collector, I would have snapped it up. I am somewhat surprised that at least one Real Collector® of FN 1900's here on the forum did not 'trade up' and buy it...

It's interesting enough. After I listed it, before long one guy liked it and offered to buy it at my listing price. I was kind, saying I would give you $50 discount. If I were a buyer, I would be happy. But, you know... this world is complex, he might think I gave him discount because I was desperate or this gun has some hidden issue or something (guesstimation) He changed his mind and wanted me to sell it at $900....

That's very close to my cost. If it were a gun that I want to sell, no problem, I would sell it and get my money back. But not this one though. Collecting good gun has one advantage, if it sells, I get my compensation. If it does not sell, I don't suffer because I like it myself.
Unread 03-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
alvin
User

The following pistol did run against my "Quality & WAUSER" theory. But, The more I look at this one, the more I feel the quality is too high for "WAUSER" marking.

It is open for offering now:

http://jamesdjulia.com/auctions/cata...e=320&lot=1070
Unread 03-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
The following pistol ...is open for offering now:

http://jamesdjulia.com/auctions/cata...e=320&lot=1070
I think that has been offered before (maybe did not fetch reserve)...I remember the solid 20 rd 'magazine'...(does not detach)...and distinctive stock/holster...

Kinda neat...

Alvin - You need that 'Wauser' for your collection...
Unread 03-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
Alvin - You need that 'Wauser' for your collection...
If there is original Hanyang 7,63m/m in NRA Good or above condition, I would be interested. Have seen a few refurbished ones on gun shows...