LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 02-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
TheRomanhistorian
User

Default Value of a nickel/chrome plated Luger?

Hi all,

I was actually quite intrigued by the 'Blingy' Luger which alanint posted recently and I was curious how typical that price is for such a Luger or for any chromed or nickeled Lugers. Alas, I was too slow and I'm not the winner of that gem but I was re-reading through the archives and I see very clearly that most here do not regard such pistols highly but there's something charming about them (I already have two nice shooters with either some of the original finish remaining or which have been reblued). A plated one might be a novelty worth having.

However, I saw values in the range of $450-600, is that still true and would that be something I could expect if I were to put up a 'WTB' thread? Or is the value of $450-600 generally something an experienced collector would pay rather than what a seller would want? E.G. Are they so undesirable to most collectors that they would not pay much (or anything) for one?

Thanks again for all of your advice!

Best,

Michael

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers

Last edited by TheRomanhistorian; 02-21-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Updated a missing sentence.
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
alvin
User

I believe traditional collectors do not think chrome or nickel plated Lugers being a collectible. One for shooting is fine, but they don't accumulate those. "Why not?" is unexplainable. Regarding the price, I don't know. Rarely seen a Luger under $450 though.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
TheRomanhistorian
User

Thanks, Alvin. I was just wondering whether these have come into their own as collectables in their own right or if they're still just marginal and what a good price is when I go into it with a WTB. It sounds like I should expect general shooter prices, then. If anyone else has thoughts, please post or PM. I don't know, for some reason the idea is really appealing to me after seeing a few photos!

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
Unread 02-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

"Collect-ability" is an interesting concept. Traditional collector interest is in all original, original finish, all matching Lugers in as close to factory manufactured state as possible.

But there are also non-traditional collectors. They tend to be more specialized and perhaps fewer in number. This decreases the demand for what they collect, and thus affects prices. When there is more than enough supply to meet those demands, the prices are lower.

From time to time, you'll see variations start to rise in value because they are becoming "collectable". For example, Russian Capture marked Lugers. They rise in value because several individuals start driving up the demand.

There were a large number of Lugers modified by engraving plating or decoration by GIs that brought them home after the war. As Lugers become more scarce, and individuals that find them attractive start acquiring them, you could expect the prices to increase - but perhaps not like those that traditional Luger collectors highly value.

One reason for this is that an unmodified all matching Luger cannot be made today, or ever again in the future. The number will never increase, even if collecting demand does.

That is also a good thing to consider when you do things that might turn a traditionally collectable Luger into a shooter.

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 02-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
LugerMan.com
User

Default Posabilitys

Hi,
Nickel can be removed... and gun can be restored to bring back it's original glory.

Granted it will be restored, but it will be much closer to original in price point then a nickel gun will ever be.

If you post some pictures, that will help to price the gun in question.

Thanks.
LugerMan.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to LugerMan.com for your post:
Unread 02-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
TheRomanhistorian
User

Thanks for all of the great replies and thoughts Marc and Eugene, mostly I wanted to to see what is now an appropriate price to expect to pay (I'd hate to underpay someone, too). I don't have a particular item in mind to purchase (I've been looking but most of the nickel plated ones I've seen on the auction sites still go for $900-1000 which is why I came here to see if they had suddenly gone up in relative value amongst collectors).

If I were to acquire a plated Luger it would be for the novelty value as a shooter and display piece and I'd never refinish it since I already have two more 'traditional' shooters which either have the original finish or are already refinished. I think it would just represent a neat piece of post-WWII history if I had a nickel or chrome plated piece. Not that I need another Luger (even though my collection pales compared to many others here!).

Regards,

Michael

Unread 02-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
LugerMan.com
User

Default Nickel luger price

I'd stay away from a nickel luger at a $900 price point.
It all depends on the model and a possible market value if the gun to be restored.
Just to make sure you can get your money back in case you want to sell it.

I'd say that top of the line for Nickel gun is $700 ...

Again depending on what it is, Artillery , navy ? Erfurt ? DWM ? what year and condition of the grips and mag add or take away from the value as well.
The following member says Thank You to LugerMan.com for your post:
Unread 02-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
TheRomanhistorian
User

Eugene,

That's a point I hadn't thought about, the refinishing to sell it later on if needed. I personally would be unlikely to pay $900 for a shooter in any condition much less for a nickel/chromed one and that's why I was surprised to see them so high on auction sites (I guess a Luger is a Luger to some, which is fair enough). To me, that price point would be approaching the low-grade all-matching category. This thread has given me a lot to think about as I hope to treat myself to another Luger for my birthday (31 in April) and I wouldn't mind something a bit quirky.

Unread 02-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
LugerMan.com
User

Default baby luger can be somthing different

I can offer a baby luger conversion as something different of an option.

But end of next month may be cutting it short for this type of project.. may be plan for next years b-day :0)

If looking for a baby luger donor, life becomes simple, as you do not need a barrel ( or a god barrel) or grips or a mag,
as all of this parts get replaced anyways.

Just an option ...