LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 01-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
RAY1946
User

Default Extractor Modification

A few months ago I purchased a Mauser Parabellum. I enjoy shooting it very much and am planning to reload for it. I have fired it about 35 times so far with Winchester white box and it functions perfectly.

I notice that when the cases are ejected they go about everywhere. Is it possible to modify the front face of the extractor by grinding a slight angle on it to change the way cases are ejected? Since the ejector is on the right, I was thinking a 12 to 15 degree angle from right to left would create a different deflection for the case when it is ejected.

Hopefully they would go to the left as in P38. Has anyone tried this or am I a renaissance man? Thanks,..............Ray
RAY1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Hi Ray,

Since the geometry of the gun is pretty much established, (i.e., extractor pulls straight back, ejector hits case in lower, right hand quadrant) I would think that inconsistent ejection patterns are a result of a poor extractor spring. Try going to a stiffer extractor spring before doing any grinding and see what happens.

Good Luck!
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Steinar
User

Not sure if that's a good idea..
The empty brass hits the top of the extractor on it's way out. (if you look at your emty brass, they probably have a small notch on the side from where it hit the extractor.) So if anything mechanical should be modified other than the springs, perhaps it's the upper front part of the extractor?