LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 10-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,361 Posts
Default Another grip safety question

Shortly after I receive a care package from Lugerdoc, I will have replaced three grip safety springs, one in each of three of my Lugers-- 2 '06 AE and a 29/70 Mauser.

I've noticed that the recoil spring rides pretty close to the grip safety spring, and in one case is actually touching it. In this case, the reciol spring seems a little more serpentine than the others, not maintaining a very straight course along its length, and, as mentioned, the recoil spring actually is in contact with the grip safety spring.

With the mechanical arrangement as described, what is the likelihood that interference from the recoil spring will cause the grip safety spring to break off, as was the found in two of the pistols? (The third had a rather deficient homemade spring in place, which I think was a replacement for yet another broken one.)

Thinking it through, the grip spring would be flexed into the corner of the passage behind the mag in the frame, in which the recoil spring moves, perhaps rendering the springs nowhere near each other when the pistol is fired, but if this is indeed an issue that demands attention, what should be done to keep the springs from interacting?

Thanks,

David Parker
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,164 Times in 1,700 Posts

David,
Don't think you need to do anything about the coil spring. The grip safety spring is pretty short to begin with and needs to be strong (read "stiff!!!") and is farly prone to breakage. I have had to replace the grip safety spring on a couple of early model Lugers that had the leaf main spring, so it isn't a problem caused by the coil spring of the new models.
Unread 10-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanks Ron,
The realization that the spring for the grips would hide in the corner while the mainspring is doing its thing has sunk in. Thanks for the reassurance.
Just tried the results of a spring installation in what I'm calling my shooter--06AE .30, matching except mag and military style barrel,with different #. Used a MecGar and an fxo, each one twice,
and no issues--except prehaps my shooting abilities...
Unread 10-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

David, I'd recommend grinding a bit off of the side touching the recoil spring. No sense risking another broken grip safety spring. TH
Unread 10-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Tom, I'll consider that. When I reassembled the mainspring assembly, I took care to take advantage of the squiggle that is in the spring, positioning it so that it swoops away from the grip safety spring. Night before last, I shot those 4 mags (one MecGar, one fxo, each filled twice) with no issues and finished with an extra 6 rapid fire, again no problem. So far, so good. I'm gratified at this, at least. 30% brass loss in the grass; I'd better do something about that. Anyway, I'll take the grips off soon and see if the spring's orientation has changed after shooting this number of rounds. If it remained where I put it, that will be good, and I will forgo any grinding for now.

A technique I've used to see if things are, indeed, scrubbing is to coat one of the suspect parts with magic marker and see what is disturbed after operating a bit. Excess comes off with alcohol when you're done.
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
GIFFROY
User

Is it possible to buy somewhere a grip safety spring for à 1929 Swiss Luger (.30 luger)?
Thank you
GIFFROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Griff, I do have new original M29 Swiss grip safety springs (same as the Mauser Parabellum) in stock @$35 each + $6 S&H. TH
Unread 12-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by giffroy View Post
is it possible to buy somewhere a grip safety spring for à 1929 swiss luger (.30 luger)?
Thank you
please do not post the same question in numerous postings
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 03:24 AM   #9
GIFFROY
User

OK ... Sorry
GIFFROY is offline   Reply With Quote