LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 05-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,361 Posts
Default a GB offering

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=228665493

OK, I give up. Just what is this supposed to be?
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts

Guns are essentially outlawed in Japan, so this is the closest they can get to one, amazed at how much they are asking.

When I don't know, I do a google search and this came up;

http://www.tokyohobby.net/airsoft-gu...model-gun.html
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

They are asking more than a normal replica gun because this is an original "MGC" (Model Gun Corporation) "Cap firing" Luger. These are no longer made.
The gun will load, feed, fire and cycle "ammunition" made from brass turnings, which look at a glance just like a 9mm round. Each replica round has a hollow cavity in the tip, much like a hollowpoint defence load. A cap is placed into this cavity and upon being hit at its base by a ram located just as an original firing pin, the cap is set off by a reversed firing pin at the end of the chamber, which the cap is thrust into. There are channels in the barrel to convey smoke and sparks to the muzzle. When fired, it pretty much looks like an actual gun going off. These have been used in movies in the past, especially filming in areas where the real weapons counterpart might be hard to obtain.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I found the particular item in question at http://www.wwiiguns.com/store/product_catalog.php?c=5 Does indeed look very realistic. I wondered why pay big bucks for a cap gun, albeit handsome. Duh, they would be for whomever is prevented from obtaining or possessing a real one. This site seems to be closer to, or original, retail price of $255--leaves quite a bit of meat on the bones when reselling for $625! Rather, puts meat on the bones...
If they are not made any more, bingo, they will be collectible (though somewhat pointless).
Has anyone ascertained whether the mag will work in a real P-08? Or the grips? Wouldn't know about the other small parts, which are described as zinc alloy (pot metal).
Unread 05-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Ron Smith
User

These Japanese made "non-guns" have become very collectable over the years. Don't know why, but they seem to bring high prices. They made replica MP-40s that sell for well over $1000 these days.

I know a man who has an operational 1941 Fieseler Storch. It has a built-in scabbard for an MP-40. I helped find one of the replicas for him. He paid nearly $1500 for it. It was very difficult to distinguish from the real deal. Not something I would spend that kind of money on.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
Wilhelm
User

Pointless means nothing when someone REALLY wants something.
Unread 05-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
hansfischer007
User

Smile Mgc ....mp-40

Hey Guys... approximately 20+ years ago....I bought one of the MP-40s at a Military Show in Atlanta.....and it had been passed around quite a bit...few dings...scratches....actually had an Original Leather Sling and Original Waffenampted Magazine....made of Metal..no plastic....I had it on display at one of our Military Shows...and hardly anyone believed it wasnt the "real thing"....a local police officer came thru the show...looked at it.....closely....couldnt tell it wasnt real....the old ones were made very well....and the "Urban Legend" back in the 60s about them was.....MGC also made an UZI...and the barrel screwed off.....some idiot...supposedly..screwed off the potmetal barrel...put a real barrel on.....loaded up the mag with FMJ....and since it was made to fire auto.....it did..!!...but around 18 rounds blew up...!!...so supposedly MGC changed and started putting some plastic in them...Ive still got it and gave it to my youngest son who is a Police Officer.....////..I had to quit taking it to the Military Shows because the Reenactors wouldnt leave me alone about not selling it........also since it looked so "real"...just didnt want to possibly have the wrong person start some trouble with it......but it looks good in my sons Library tho.........Anyway....just thought you guys might want to hear about my experience with one.....Hans Fischer
hansfischer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
Ron Smith
User

Here's a link to one like I found for the Storch owner.

http://www.craiggottlieb.com/engine/...ilter=Firearms
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Has anyone ascertained whether the mag will work in a real P-08?
Obviously not: http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=26145
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle View Post
Yes, I posted in that thread after I asked my initial question. They are talking about a snail drum mag which seems internally different from original and will not fit in. These MGC's are supposed to cycle and feed the dummy brass ammo with the charge in the nose.
Has someone specifically tried the regular mag? Did you take off the grips to see what is going on when attempting insertion?