LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 03-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Hugo Borchardt
User

Default Afternoon w Tauscher and Bannerman

I am in New York City this week. Most of my meetings are on Broadway and, though lacking of a time machine, I couldn't resist the urge to see the former store locations of Hans Tauscher, A.H. Funke and Francis Bannerman, all of whom we associate with the early Luger and the US Test Trials. I gleaned most of the addresses from the Land of Borchardt website, and took a long walk this afternoon with my camera.

Photos 1 and 2: My first stop was Hans Tauschers earliest known address on 56-58 Pine Street. This is the original 1893-1894 building that looks much the same as it did in 1903, when correspondence proves it was the address from which the fifty 9mm Lugers were ordered. I admit that I imagined Borchardts and Parabellums in the two large storefront windows on the right and wish I could have went in and purchased some for $27.50, but I arrived about 100 years too late.

Photo 3: 320 Broadway, Hans Tauschers most recognizable address from his later catalogs and correspondence. He was in rooms 1217-1218 and later expanded to include 1219-1220.

Photos 4-5: 325 Broadway, once home to A.H. Funke's store, where the 50 original 7.65 Test Lugers were apparently delivered per Hans Tauscher's instructions to trade for the 9mm model. (Correction: a Tauscher letter lists Funkes earlier store on Chambers Street - will photograph next visit!)

Photos 6-7: 579 Broadway is the original Bannerman & Sons location. They were likely here when they obtained the test Lugers from surplus auction. Francis Bannerman may very well have walked through this very doorway himself a thousand times.

Photo 8: Bannerman's later storefront at 501 Broadway where the test Lugers likely were displayed and sold from is long gone. It was a parking lot for a while, and the location now sports these two new buildings.

I hope on the next trip to visit Abercrombie's 1920's locations, as well as Stoeger's. I hope to get out to photograph Bannerman island some day as well.

Clark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	!!!56-58 Pine Street.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	17775  

Name:	!!!56-58 Pine Street 2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	17776  

Name:	320 Broadway.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	17777  

Name:	325 Broadway 1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	17778  

Name:	325 Broadway 2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	17779  

Name:	579 Broadway.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	17780  

Name:	579 broadway 2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	17781  

Name:	501 Broadway original on left.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	17782  

My militaria collection is dedicated to the memory of my Grandfather, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Dave Hill, Jr., wounded in action at The Assault of the Second Marine Division on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, 20-23 November, 1943. http://www.tarawa1943.com/pages/casualties%20tarawa.htm

Last edited by Hugo Borchardt; 03-11-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Hugo Borchardt is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to Hugo Borchardt for your post:
Unread 03-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
policeluger
RIP

Thank you so much, I often wondered about where and what those buld. look like
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Bannerman's island is near where I used to live in New York. It's just south of Newburgh on the East side of the Hudson River.

There is a gothic "Castle" on the island, and it looks like a group is now working to preserve it:

Bannerman's Castle

When I lived in NY, I had a boat and taught Scuba Diving. Bannerman's Island (at the time the property was posted and off limits) always had the allure of mystery. It's interesting to see the activities going on there now... Gardens... Castle restoration... Perhaps hidden Lugers?

I also worked for IBM in Poughkeepsie. This is the plant that assembled M1 Carbines for the US in WW-II. There was a persistent rumor that after the war, IBM dumped case after case of cosmoline packed M1 parts into the Hudson. We never found any trace, but it's deep, dark and muddy on the bottom of this estuary (which flows in and out with the tides)...

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 03-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default if you did not notice, just above the picture is a

"click-on" bannerman castle......opens another site with some great extras..........thanks for the story, great read.......tom
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to tomaustin for your post:
Unread 03-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

I explored the castle years ago. There were hundreds of rotting British pith helmets scattered around the basement area. This was before the group took over and started restoration. We would be dropped off in a motorboat and picked up later. One interesting thing I saw was that in a section of crumbling sea wall the reenforcing rebar were barreled rifle actions!! (I think Martinis).
One story I remember is that a group of kids landed in the shallows just off the dock and as one boy stepped into the water, his foot went through something and sunk up to his hip. It turned out he put his leg through the top of a wooden crate, which when salvaged contained a Gatling Gun encrusted in cosmoline. I remember hearing that the gun ended up at the West Point museum. Although I've looked recently for news articles corroborating this story, I havent turned anything up.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 03-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Great history & photos gentlemen (& I don't use the term loosely). Its folks like you who take the time to share your adventures (& mis-adventures ) that keep this forum an interesting and fun place to visit). Thank you all!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Clark, "Thanks for the memories". Here's another address for someone to check out, from the lable on some repro boxes that I have available (see the FS section): A.H.FUNKE 83 Chambers St. N.Y. TH
The following member says Thank You to Lugerdoc for your post:
Unread 03-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Back in the early70s i got a chance to visit Ellis Island before any renovation. There were still beds, fixtures a rusty eerie chambers. The following year the Godfather two was filmed there and renovation were done especially to the main hall. The half sunk wooden ferry was still moored to the embarkation dock. I sure someone there was carrying a luger or two!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Immigrants-Ellis-Island-001.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	17789  

Attached Images

cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 03-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
Douglas Jr.
User

I'll be on NYC for a quick holiday with Mrs.
I'll look for such addresses and take a picture or two.
Thanks a lot for this very original "Luger Tour".
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,593 Times in 931 Posts

I remember the Abercrombie and Fitch building on Madison Av. well. Back in the 60's my office was just around the corner (my office is still there, A and F is long gone). I used to visit the legendary 5th floor gun room frequently during my lunch hour. The vast room was lined with gun racks filled with Purdeys, Churchills etc., and one could pick them up and handle them without restriction. Above the gun racks the heads of long dead beasts stared down at us. The center of the room had several large green felt covered tables where the sales staff, who all wore smart brown shop aprons, would lay out guns for prospective customers. All that changed when some inconsiderate person inserted a 12 gauge shell into one of the guns and blew his head off! The guns were locked up after that. Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 03-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #11
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts
Default Peter Von Frantzius, Chicago dealer...

Hi,

I hale from Chicago, and this thread got me thinking about the notorious arms dealer on the North side of Chicago during the prohibition era:

Peter Von Frantzius

His shop was at 608 W. Diversey Parkway in Chicago. Unfortunately, this is all that's left:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	608WDiverseyPkwyPeterVonFrantzius.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	18015