LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 12-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
ptrickamp222
User

Default RCBS 2 Die Set / HELP!!!!

I've never used the 2 die set before. I have a Dillon 550B with the 30 Cal Luger RCBS 2 die set where station 3 seats the bullet and crimps the case. I am having trouble with the crimping. Not getting the crimp correct. Anyone have any input????? RCBS is closed on Fridays!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!! Station 1 deprimes and sizes, primes. Station 2 adds powder and bells the case. And station 3 seats the bullet and crimps. No station 4. I was told this is what to get for the 30 Cal Luger for the Dillon
ptrickamp222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
nukem556
User

Hmm I dont understand how you can flare the case with a 2 die set. I have lots of dies (Lee, Hornady,RCBS) and my 2 die sets are rifle dies, my pistol sets have a seperate 3rd die whose only purpose is flaring the case for bullet seating. If the sizing die flared the case neck, it coudlnt be pulled back out past the sized neck portion of the die. I'm missing something here.
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
ptrickamp222
User

Default RCBS 25001 Dies for 30 Cal Luger

The Dillon 550B is a progressive loader, 4 stations. Dillon does not make 30 Cal luger dies. I was told on this forum to get the RCBS 25001 2 Die set for the Dillon. I bought also a quik change kit from Dillon that comes with station 2 for the case bell with the powder funnel and powder holder and powder bar. You start with the RCBS Die 1 in station 1 to size the case and deprime and prime. Move to station 2 to bell the case and add the correct powder charge. Move to station 3 to add the second RCBS die to add the 90gr lead cast bullet with wax cannelure and seat the bullet.If crimped at the wax cannelure is way to long. I need 1.173 is what I am told from the Pro's here. I've readjusted and have come pretty close to the crimp being almost completely flat. No station 4 for crimping on the RCBS 2 die set for the 4 station 550B. That's my problem. I think I need to call RCBS and see if they sell just 1 die for crimping that I can add to station 4 and use 3 just for bullet seating. But the big question is has anyone got the 2 die RCBS set to work and how did you do and what bullet was used to get the cannelure and crimp correct. I am within specs, not to over, a little less in fact. Thanks for any input. Any Dillon or RCBS Pro's out there.................And if RCBS sells the 2 die set and is recommended here it must work somehow........
Unread 12-12-2010, 01:39 AM   #4
ptrickamp222
User

Default Lee Dies for Crimping

I did some research today and found on the Lee site some nice crimping dies. I will have to call and find out if they will fit the Dillon and what they think is the best way to go. I am still going to talk to RCBS about their 2 die set. If they make it and sell it......It Should Work!!!!!! As described in one action. seat the bullet and roll crimp at the same time! Still any one with any experience in this area please feel free to let me know what you found out with the 25001 set and what you think is the best solution. Try what I've got and see how it works, Tell me what bullet to use that the cannelure is in the right place for the roll crimp and the OAL at 1.173. Or what Crimp die to get for station 4........Thanks in advance!!!!!!!
Unread 12-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
Neil Young
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I have used Lee crimping dies for years for various calibers (not the 30 cal. Luger though) and they reallly work nicely. Setting them up is easy and they are fast to use and trouble-free.

Neil
Unread 12-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

I've used the RCBS 2-die 30 Luger/30 Mauser sets with no problems for years...I even use them to form .223 Remington to 30 Luger/30 Mauser...

Dunno what to tell you...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #7
azlaw
User

Buy a Lee .30 Luger "factory crimp" die (Midway USA Product #: 163481) and your troubles will be over. The "roll crimp" is very hard to get working in auto pistols, especially those under 9mm. The Lee crimp die uses a collet to convert down force to side force, and the collet can break, so tighten down slowly a bit at a time. I use mine on my 7.63mm Mauser, and it works great.

H
azlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
ptrickamp222
User

Default RCBS 25001 Dies for 30 Cal Luger

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
I've used the RCBS 2-die 30 Luger/30 Mauser sets with no problems for years...I even use them to form .223 Remington to 30 Luger/30 Mauser...

Dunno what to tell you...
I can get the dies working as best as they can, but still if I drop the bullet on its head it still seats a few thousands and still does not have that great looking crimp. It's all within specs but I still do not feel comfortable with it. I think the Lee die in station 4 will be the final crimp and answer. Even RCBS tech support mentioned using another die!!!!! Why even make and sell a product that does not work to crimp the bullet without moving........banging around in a box of ammo and in the clip the bullet is going to move inward let alone ramping in the barrel. Just would like the bullets to be in spec and not move......Thanks for all the input!!!!!
Unread 12-15-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
ptrickamp222
User

Lee crimping die on it's way......$22.60 delivered from Ebay. I will post on crimping
Unread 03-14-2011, 02:19 AM   #10
ptrickamp222
User

That's exactly what I did.........22.60 Ebay. Use station 3 for seating and put the Lee crimping die in #4 and set your crimp. Mine went almost all the way down till she finally got the right crimp. Works great!!!!! For 22.60 I did not even want to be on hold to wait to have RCB$ explain to me how it was going to work, Not worh the hassle. This setup works great. Bought a quik change kit for my 30 Cal so I do not have to go thru all the adjustments again. I have one for 45 ACP, 9mm and 30 Cal. luger. When I load the 30 Cal I just make sure I have enough clean brass and go to 9mm. Same shell plate and all. Different powder. Slap the 9mm quik change and off I go..........Best 22 bucks I ever spent.
Unread 03-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #11
Neil Young
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Don't you love it when a plan comes together!

Neil