LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 01-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #21
Douglas Jr.
User

In my view, it is a materm of personal preference.
I don't know about the others, but in my mind the Luger pistol is much more a WWI than a WWII gun, mostly because its design, appearance and mechanism.

Yes, I know that 1 million P08s were made during the III Reich timeframe, but it was, by then, an old looking gun when you think about the P38, Radom and Hi-Powers...

However, the mystique surrounding everything that is "nazi-related" has a significative impact on price and market. Add to that the fact the most Nazi officers in the Hollywood movies are always holding Lugers. A "bad boy" gun definitavely.

However, in four years your gun will be centennary. And hopefully it will be in your collection when it happens. No one else from that conflict is still with us. Your Luger is one of the only things that remains from an age long gone. This is the approach I bet you are looking for.

Greetings.

Douglas.
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Douglas Jr. for your post:
Unread 01-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #22
enfield1576
User

Douglas you've hit the nail on the head. One reason I collect WWI and WWII firearms is to preserve the history and to remember the men and women who sacraficed so much. The world around the firearm and the battles it was used in. If only they could talk and tell us where they were and who they were issued too.

I admire rifles and pistols from both conflicts but have always had that soft spot for WWI weapons. It is true about the fit and finnish. And when you look at the world in 1914 to 1918 and earlier it was still rather primative in a lot of aspects and to see some of the firearms that were made and used was amazing in so many ways. To me Imperial Lugers come from a time where kings and queens still ruled, Lords and high courts still existed. That imperial marking holds so much history in it and tradgedy as well. And it's one of only a few things left with that mark and connects us to that past. To compare it to nazi rule and times both I'm sure have their appeal and significance in the collector market and agree it's all in what one wants.
I'll collect from all time periods and enjoy and keep them clean and functional and safe for future generations to enjoy. I have been thinking about the 100 year mark rolling around the the one I have and am excited about it. Hope I look as good when I hit a hundred.
enfield1576 is offline   Reply With Quote