LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 12-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
cloud9
New User

Question Newbie

Just bought my first German Luger; it is a 1915 9mm nickel plated. It's in good shootable condition; low serial number, all numbers match, even the number on the clip. It has some pitting, riffling is about 50%. I purchased it from a coworker for a good price; he was told that his uncle took it from a German prisoner in France. I live in the Seattle area if there is a local shop/person that can help.

I want to make it a "shootable" gun and I would like some ideas/help with parts and refinishing/rebarrelling. Appreciate any suggestions. Pictures to follow soon.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Welcome to the Lugerforum... post your photos and we will comment on what you have... it is likely that even though you say there is pitting, that your Luger will require virtually nothing other than a good cleaning and lubrication to be ready to shoot.

Lugers have a reputation for accuracy even with a pitted bore.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
cloud9
New User

Default I posted pictures

I posted pictures on my profile in the gallery section.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
JD
User

Welcome cloud9!!! You're a neigbor, so to speak, as I live in Kent...

For parts, you can't beat Tom Heller here on the board... He goes by Luger Doc and he seems to have almost any part for a luger...

If your luger has a nickel finish, it's not original as the Germans never issued or used military handguns with anything other than a blued finish. Many lugers were nickel or chrome plated after the war. The fact that it is plated takes it out of the collector catagory and places it in the "shooter" catagory. Kind of a shame if all the number match, but that's the way it goes sometimes. It still may be a really fun shooter, and lugers are fun to shoot!!!

Your luger mar be perfectly functional just as is. Even somewhat pitted bores will often shoot quite well. You can clean and lubricate it and give it a try with some Winchester 115 grain full metal jacket ammo (usually available at the best price at the Walmart store on Rainier Avenue...). Lugers can sometimes take a bit of tinkering to get to function with 100% reliability, but they are a really fun piece of history!
JD is offline   Reply With Quote