LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 09-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
OD#3
User

Default What replacement barrel is this?

A 1940 42 code I ordered from Simpson's arrived yesterday. It was listed as all matching except the takedown lever, sear, and magazine. But the barrel looks to be a replacement of some kind. Its only marks are three capital letters on the bottom near the breech arranged in a triangle with "E" on top and larger font "P S" under that. Irritating. Everything else was well-represented, and I new I was getting a shooter, but I would have liked to have known beforehand that the only reason the bore was in "excellent" condition was because it was a replacement.

Last edited by OD#3; 09-08-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Photo Added
OD#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,441 Times in 2,329 Posts

My personal opinion is that if you knew it was going to be a shooter, then a new/replacement barrel is a plus...

Is it a 4" barrel? What does the front sight look like??? Any marks on the sight blade???

...and what is that curious mark under the serial number on the frame??? It looks more like a proof than a letter...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
OD#3
User

Thanks for looking at this for me. It is a four inch barrel. The front sight blade is typical--unmarked, serrated along with the back of the base, typical shape, etc. Yes, a new replacement barrel could be a plus for a shooter, unless the markings indicate a cheap commercial reproduction; I wouldn't know how well the tolerances were held, whether it had been headspaced properly, and whether or not it would shoot well (haven't gotten to the range with it yet). Also, having an original barrel in "excellent" condition would have suggested to me that the balance of the pistol was well cared for. But if the original had been replaced.....I just don't know. A thorough cleaning introduced oil into crevaces and places like the sear plunger, which caused oily rust to begin seeping out of them. It isn't really that bad, but you know how it is; it seems I always find something to be disappointed with when I buy a firearm online.

That strange mark is supposed to be a "C" suffix, but it was defaced. Whether this was intentional or not, I don't know (Simpson did disclose the defacement in the advert.), but it is possible to make out the letter when viewing in person. It looks like a couple of chisel or screwdriver blows. I've been pouring over the archives here and trying the search function to no avail; I've found no mention of these barrel markings.
Unread 09-09-2010, 02:38 AM   #4
lfid
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

one thing to check for is to examine the bore carefully the full length

Ive seen two in last two years with odd problems

one had bright shiny with typical rifling tool machine marks that follow parallel the lands and grooves and looked mint new however it had a squeezed semicircle line at 90 degrees to the bore centerline indicating an insert rod was not used and too much pressure was used to hold the barrel during install

the other one was perfect except for an area near center that resembled a spiral nebula and must have been some event with barrel obstruction - but barrel looked ok external - nebula area seemed a bit bluish color - looked like a reflection but was not

wierd stuff - but brite shiny mint can be misleading

also if the slide to frame fit is loose it is often result of buffing the fitment slide areas rather than protecting them - and is often a tip that some reblue has occurred

Bill
lfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

OD#3,

Simpson's is a well-established and reputable dealer. I suggest that you contact them about this shortcoming in your satisfaction with the pistol - regardless of whether or not you decide to return it. You have nothing to lose. I have never dealt with Simpson's but I have had experience with other "high end" (top dollar) online dealers and have found that they will bend over backwards to make you a satisfied customer. Also, headspace is easy enough to check. KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
OD#3
User

It was Simpson's reputation that convinced me to buy from them. I'm generally uncomfortable buying expensive things online; so much can be misrepresented. The barrel markings were present on the advert pics, but I had no idea what they meant; I was hoping there'd be proof marks somewhere else--at least something to indicate that it was an arsenal job. So I was hoping someone here would say something like "Oh, you have one of those barrels the wehrmacht used at such and such arsenal as replacements during the war...." I really don't care where the barrel comes from, as long as it shoots well, and I won't know that until I shoot it--which would void the inspection period rules.

Ifid, thanks for the admonitions about bore condition. Thankfully, mine has none of those features. And also fortunately, mine wasn't polished much--if at all--prior to rebluing. It lookes like it was just dipped. So the fit is pretty tight. The barrel extension turned plum during the process, though. Karl, I'll call Simpson's tomorrow and see what they say. I wish I had a headspace guage...
Unread 10-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
whcoyote
User

If this barrel was replaced in Germany, it should have a firing proof on it somewhere.
whcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 04:06 AM   #8
Balder
User

The barrel may have been made at Kongsberg Våpenfabrikk (Norwegian gun factory and government arsenal). I have had several Lugers with Kongsberg replacement barrels marked with at least the "P", can't really remember if there were other letters present. I'll look for pictures once I get the old hard-disk restored.

Balder
Balder is offline   Reply With Quote