LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 07-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
Clarkaim
User

Default new guy here with a question or 3

I've owned maybe 3 previous lugers, one a matching dwm I sold years ago to a guy to buy a les baer. 2 shooters, one of those was a russian capture job that looked dipped in black paint, if you remember those. Did have Black Widow grips that I sold to a guy.

At a show recently I picked up what I consider a shooter as well, paid the appropriate money for it as well. Here's the deal with it. It turns out it's all matching on all parts but it's been re-blued and there is some engraving on the backstrap, 3 ornate engraved letters, the first undecipherable, maybe a Q?, then 2 s's, one on top of the other. The blueing on this is like what you'd see on a new Smith and Wesson or something, extremely nice polish and a deeeeep black. It's just a plain byf 41 luger, the grips are some sort of brown bakelite, not regular plastic. Who made those grips? I assume they are aftermarket? the only wear on teh blue is around the handlestraps from holding Id guess. I'll take some pics later when more time. I'm guessing someone brought the gun back and had it refinished a long time ago before these had the collector value they have today?
Clarkaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

Hi,

The original brown bakelite grips are thought to have been made for Krieghoff and sold/transferred to Mauser. They may not be aftermarket, but rather sought after by collectors. You'll need to post pictures.

The Germans didn't unit mark their pistols during WW-II. Again, a picture will help.

Marc
mrerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
Clarkaim
User

Default some pics of the grips.

Here are some of the grips. pistol has an fxo mag, though it looks like it was made last week, it doesn't function in the pistol as well as an old beater 1920's era rusty mag I have of some sort I found out today. the bolt seems to catch on the rear of the mag body and not cycle the ammo. Mag switch and it's a fantastic shooting piece.

As to the grips, they are some sort of brown bakelite, looks like it might say made in germany on one of them. I guess it's aftermarket? any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mauser luger pics 001.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	14183  

Name:	mauser luger pics 002.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	14184  

Name:	mauser luger pics 003.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	14185  

Name:	mauser luger pics 004.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	14186  

Name:	mauser luger pics 005.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	14187  

Name:	mauser luger pics 006.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	14188  

Name:	mauser luger pics 007.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	14189  

Unread 07-27-2010, 01:26 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,087 Posts

Well, the first three grips sure appear to be wood...

from the outside, sometimes they will appear to be plastic because of a coating of varnish or the like.

If plastic and say made in germany, then yes, aftermarket...

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

I agree with Ed. These are wood grips that have a very heavy coat of varnish on them. This is often a good thing. Many a time I have purchased a Garand, M1 Carbine or the like with heavily varnish stocks. Upon stripping them, you usually find that the varnish has preserved delicate marking and prevented hundreds of dings over the years from marring the stock.
Its like finding an insect preserved in amber!
If you strip these grips they will look much nicer and any markings inside should be well preserved.
There are resources here on the site for doing this properly
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Or if you send them to Hugh they will come back like new...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
Clarkaim
User

I see why you guys say they are wood/varnished. tho I'm not sure. See the fourth pic? That burnishing on the bottom, which I guess varnished could look like that as well. Bakelite looks similar to that as well doesn't it? If I stripped them then I guess I could get them to swell a bit, the right grip fits too loose.

Any ideas on fixing the mag? the bolt strikes the back and it's not really functional in this particular pistol? Also there is NO serial number on the aluminum plug, either never was one on the plug or polished off for god knows what reason. It's an fxo and weighs a good ounce more than another magazine, but it just doesn't work well in this pistol. Here are some more pics, including the feed lips of the mag. .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mauser luger feed lips.jpg
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	14197  

Name:	mauser lugertop.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	14201  

Name:	mauser lugerrt side.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	14202  

Name:	mauser luger backstrap.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	14203  

Name:	mauser luger mag plug.jpg
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	14204  

Name:	mauser luger front.jpg
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	14205  

Last edited by Clarkaim; 07-27-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: add pics
Unread 07-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Simply clicking the grips together should tell you if they are plastic or wood, or a very small touch with a dremel on the back , but that is a bit distructive. Bottom line is that you have them in front of you so you should know. If they look like a duck...
Regarding the magazine, if you release the mag just a hair and lower the mag. about 1/32nd" does all work well? If so very careful polishing on the top/rear of the mag. body will give you clearence, however that's probably why we use MecGar's and put the good stuff away...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Clarkaim
User

IT does exactly that, in fact , after it jams, I have to pull the toggle back (not entirely safe in my mind, then lower the mag a tiny amount, you get the pic. I don't want to file on a vintage mag, but since th plug is altered, does it matter now? I suppose someone who wants an fxo and has a plug it would. I'll shoot the otehr mag
Unread 07-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

Hi, The backstrap engraving is most probably the initials of the owner that had it refinished.

Are you sure that the refinish is nickel? It's got color tones that make me wonder if someone silver plated your Luger. Unless that's wear, I wouldn't expect nickel to have those dark black areas.

Since the bottom of the round magazine base is a little flattened, it looks like the original serial number may have been ground off your magazine. Can't tell for sure from the straight on picture. FXO magazines are the best ever made for the Luger. I wouldn't modify the magazine in any way, and just keep it, using others for firing.

Marc
mrerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
Clarkaim
User

Not nickel at all, it's a rich very dark black Blue finish, like on a smith and wesson model 29 type finish. My theory is that someone took their personal gun, had it blued and engraved, they maybe pickup in war, or got when these were more available, as it's all matching numbers. It looks like, if you can imagine this, it was sold at some German gunshop as a new gun for sale years ago ( I know that wasn't the case, just imagine if it were) It was probably in escellent condition when sent to refin at local gunshop here I'd guess.
Unread 07-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #12
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

I really love you guys!!!!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #13
Clarkaim
User