LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 04-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
Hugo Borchardt
User

Exclamation Thurman Wade BerryHill: Mail/Wire Fraud Alert to All Users

Thurman BerryHill (Thurman wade Berryhill Wichita falls TX 76301. Phone number 307797xxxx) posted a 1900 AE for sale on the forum that he says he inherited from his Grandfather. He goes under the username Kainrahl. Note his phone # is not in Texas, which he explained was because he had just moved there and was in the military.

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=23732

Forum members had helped analyze the gun in another thread, and I spoke to Thurman on the phone. We negotiated a price for the gun. He was reasonable on the price as he said he needed the money. He gave Ron Wood as a passive reference (only that he helped him identify and price the gun, just as I would have done for Thurman), and had a couple stories about the gun.

My first mistake: I overnighted him a personal check as I reasoned it would be better than sending a money order if he did not ship me the gun. Upon receipt he called me and told me the bank would have to hold the check for 10 days, and gave me his bank account number and asked me to deposit the funds directly and he would tear up the check. In return he would ship the gun that day (which he did).

My second mistake: Believe it or not, I deposited the funds directly to his bank account. Fortunately he did ship me the gun and I am very pleased with it. I need to have a background check run on it however.

My third mistake: through miscommunication between my wife and I, we did not cancel the check. Thurman deposited the check instead of tearing it up, and it cleared my account 2 weeks later. Thurman hung up on me the first time I called, and does not return my calls or emails.

I had hoped that Thurman did this only under financial duress and would make this right, but am in process of dealing with it through the banks, law enforcement, and my attorneys. I have clear documentation including written negotation of the price and terms, deposit receipt to his bank acct, and copy of the cleared check.

I know that several of you have been burned similarly in the past, and though this is quite embarrassing to me as in retrospect I made several mistakes, I felt it important to post as a warning to the honorable members of this forum that trade here. Hopefully it will save someone some time and money.

I invite Thurman to contact me immediately and clear this up.

Thanks!

My militaria collection is dedicated to the memory of my Grandfather, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Dave Hill, Jr., wounded in action at The Assault of the Second Marine Division on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, 20-23 November, 1943. http://www.tarawa1943.com/pages/casualties%20tarawa.htm
Hugo Borchardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
the gunman
User

Thanks for posting this information.
the gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts

Interesting, I was interested in this 1900 and tried to make a deal, but couldn't come up with the funds or a deal both could live with.

Some folks are just thieves by nature if they see a good deal. Hopefully he will send you the 2nd amount and prove me / us wrong.

I would send him an email, and outline your and his legal ramifications:

1. He dealt in interstate commerce with you
2. You have clear emails stating the price (you can also point to the price here on the forum, as I have locked the thread, so he can not delete it)
3. That you will contact the city prosecutor in his town, claiming out-right fraud (creating a public record if convicted)
4. I am afraid it sounds like he planned this, but at least you have a nice 1900 / just one that you probably did not want to spend 3K+ for?

NOTE: That he was last on this site yesterday at 2:11 PM / this is public info by clicking on their profile...

Ed

PS: I admin' the full address and phone number out, even though it could be obtained via whitepages.
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 04-14-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
tudorbug
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

In the absence of a refund, I understand the postal inspectors take a delight in dealing with cases such as this if USPS mail was involved.

David
tudorbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbug View Post
In the absence of a refund, I understand the postal inspectors take a delight in dealing with cases such as this if USPS mail was involved.

David
and if thousands of dollars was involved...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #6
Mauser720
User

Clark -

I have had mixed results involving the U.S. Postal Service. Sometimes they will get involved and help, and sometimes they will say it is not their problem, even if you used a USPS money order to pay for the item.

Another effective alternative you can use is to check out the web site for the attorney general in the state where this fellow lives. A part of the site will explain his state's procedures for dealing with complaints of consumer fraud. There will usually be a form which you can download and print off, and you may also assemble and provide them with a complete case file which documents how you were ripped off.

Your case file will have to "stand on its own" which means that anyone picking up your complaint will be able to read it and clearly understand exactly what happened and when it happened. For example, when you called him on the telephone and he hung up on you, you can attach a copy of your phone bill that shows you did call his phone number on a particular date and at a particular time, etc. Plus you will have to tell them exactly what relief you are seeking; i.e., you want the amount of the fraudulently cashed check refunded to you.

The relief you are seeking has to be "personal to you" which means you can not ask that any legal action be taken against him or that he be punished or anything like that. In this case, the only appropriate relief you can ask for is that you get a refund on your fraudulently cashed check.

Since a handgun is involved, I can assure you they will take your complaint very seriously.

This approach has some advantages in my opinion. (1) It is free; (2) It will be handled by professional law enforcement personnel in the state where he lives; and, (3) There will then be a permanent record in the area where he lives regarding his activities. This may help someone else in the future.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me via private Email. I wish you the best.
The following 2 members says Thank You to Mauser720 for your post:
Unread 04-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,528 Times in 787 Posts

If the fellow is really in the military, that's the track you should follow; the man's career could be brought to a speedy and unpleasant end.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I agree. The base commander will take a very dim view of such schanagans by those under their command...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

The name appears in recent legal proceedings involving a release of trust to another individual; Can't be too many guys with that name:

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/...ecord-april-7/
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
Ron Smith
User

"Thurman Wade Berry*hill, et al, to Mark E. Baker, Trustee, Mario Martinez, et al, L10 & 11, B23 of the Floral Heights Addition, aka 2506 & 2508 10th, $47,900.00, V3474 P36"
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #11
Mauser720
User

Well, I used to do Inspector General (IG) investigations for the Air Force and for the Army too. Do we know which branch of the military he is allegedly in?
Unread 04-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #12
Hugo Borchardt
User

Just letting you guys know that I have read and appreciate everyone's input and comments. I appreciate you all. I will keep you posted!

Clark

My militaria collection is dedicated to the memory of my Grandfather, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Dave Hill, Jr., wounded in action at The Assault of the Second Marine Division on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, 20-23 November, 1943. http://www.tarawa1943.com/pages/casualties%20tarawa.htm
Hugo Borchardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #13
danzig
Banned

The problem is there has to be a chain of actions for most law inforcment to send it to a prsicutor. One incident does not usualy make for criminal action. They will most times view it as a civil situation. If someone has taken a hundred postal money orders and not sent anything out, thats clear fraud was commited. If someone took a postal money order or use dthe postal system to sell a property they did not own it is clear fraud. But this is muddy enough I would doubt very seriously the postal office would get involved. If you know where he lives you could take him to court,but even if you win there is no way to know if you get your money. People like him make it hard for others to buy and sell over the net.
danzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #14
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,603 Times in 933 Posts

Hi Clark, In my almost 50 years in business I have, unfortunately, come across many individuals like the one in question. My experience is that once it reaches the stage of unanswered phone calls, the chances of you getting your money back are close to zero. The only consolation I can offer, is that you did get a nice Luger. You could very easily have come up empty handed! Best regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote