LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 12-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
cma22inc
User

Default Project for 2010

Hey guys I'd like to undertake a project for 2010 so here goes.

I'd like to build a shooter Navy upper or a complete Navy Luger in 9mm with the 6" barrel and Navy rear site 100 /200.

I have a DWM Fin luger I can use as the lower but, if that is not feasible then I guess I can build the whole gun.
I would only use the Fin lower if I can keep the lower original.
If I build a complete gun I'll want to dress it up if Hugh, Thor, Jerry, and GT are willing.

So the questions are.

Would I be better off buying a complete Navy shooter or can I build one cheaper? This project can take all year so I can space out the cost.

I understand I might have to go with some repo parts and that is fine and this is only a shooter I want to build.

I'm in no hurry and this can take all year if need be.

I am looking for your input.

Thanks
cma22inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Thor
User

Finding a Shooter Navy mind be a problem and then the money you have invested you might NOT want to restore it. Finding a rear sight might be tough too. But, remember not just any 6" barrel will do, you must have the correct height on the front sight to make the back ones work right. Most 6" barrel DONT have enough height on the front sight base because they are set up to use a standard rear toggle fixed sight not the two position Navy rear sight. You can use a standard front sight base but then you have to find a taller front sight. Some of the ones I have seen used have a rifle looking sight which does not look exactly like a Luger front sight but will work. The other guys you mentioned will have more to add. I actually did a shooter Navy for GT once upon a time.
See on GTs shooter it has the shorter sight base but he found a taller front sight, I dont remember, but I think it shot really high. Two different sources of lighting, so the pics look different.

AND Ed Tinker's Navy with Correct front sight block
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

Last edited by Thor; 12-10-2009 at 11:18 AM. Reason: added pictures and comments
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,603 Times in 933 Posts

Hi Matt, I have a pretty nice 1917 Navy that I now believe to be fake. I am thinking of selling it for what I paid for it some years ago,and using the money towards buying a Kosher one. If you are interested, email me at normrab@gmail.com, and I'll send you photos. Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
cma22inc
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norme View Post
Hi Matt, I have a pretty nice 1917 Navy that I now believe to be fake. I am thinking of selling it for what I paid for it some years ago,and using the money towards buying a Kosher one. If you are interested, email me at normrab@gmail.com, and I'll send you photos. Regards, Norm

Norm,

Thanks! I am for sure interested please send me pics and details to my home address I'll pm you with it so the spammers don't get me.

I'm at work so home e-mail is blocked.
Unread 12-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
cma22inc
User

Thor,

I'd want to do the correct front site just so it shoots correctly. Would it be possible to build up the front site base on a barrel and machine the correct height back out?

Maybe postino can help out with that ;-)

If I couldn't get the correct barrel then I'd go with the taller front site or just have one made up to the correct point of aim I have a local gunsmith that could make up something I'm sure. I know it would not look 100% correct but, I'm going for shootability first and then looks 2nd.

I really like the one you did for GT I would not want a grip saftey model for a shooter.
Unread 12-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,631 Times in 1,000 Posts
Default Ookee Dokee!!

Hi Matt, GT's always willing!!!... Let me know what you'd like and I'll include them in my spring production run.. Best to all, til...lat'r....GT

BTW, on the shooter Navy pictured.. That sight was made by John V. Martz... might be why it shot high, as it could have been for any one of a dozen non navy application.. The shooter was made from second hand parts, rejected by John V Martz... It got pretty when Thor got a'hold of it!!!...... was later sold to a long time JVM customer, and went back to JVM for his patented M.S.T.R. modification... taller front did the trick..shot straight arrow, and right on..
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
cma22inc
User

GT,

Thanks for the reply.

I'd want to go with 2 Mecgar shiny mags (not blue) and have you do your magic on them.

The wooden bottoms with the discs I think I have seen or if you no longer do those the ones with the circles like the one of Ed's Thor has shown in the thrid picture.

I can supply the mags if that is better for you.
Unread 12-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
Thor
User

I will have to let others do the metal build up stuff, way beyond my capabilites.

I found my original posting back in 2001 when I test fired GTs Navy Shooter pictured above. It did indeed shoot high when I had it, 1 foot high at 200 yards. It reads as follows:

Well good and bad on this one. The good is I fired a box of ammo through it, 115gr PMC FMJ, no misfeeds, no misfires, no misejects. Accurate Luger but front and rear sights are a mismatch in height . Forget about doing much but shooting OVER the target with this one. At 25 meters it strikes about 9-10" high! At 200 meters it was grouping around 8" and striking about 1' High with the 100 meter setting. Wonder if one of the old Marble Beads sight would be high enough. Lowering the rear sight would work, but WHO in their right mind would muck up a real Navy two Position sight. Perhaps MARTZ could add a higher block under the front sight. That might work! Anyway, this Luger was the nicest looking pistol we shot and I did manage to hit a bowling pin at 100 meters with the second shot at it! This gun has potentional but really need the sights worked on!

PS GT Navy Bottoms are the BOMB!!! Of Course, all his work is PHenomenol!
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

Last edited by Thor; 12-10-2009 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added range report text Added GT note
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,631 Times in 1,000 Posts
Default Mag. bottoms..

Hi Matt, we can do either.. and, I can supply the mags... Ive seen a few MEC-GARs, not many, come deformed right outt'a the new box.....again, not many, but just enought to make it hard for me to get a good start evey one and awhile.. If I supply the mags, I can pre-inspect and use only the best... The others are destined to remain unaltered Mec-Gar mags... Email me later with you specific wants... light, dark, fancy, etc... BTW, If some of you would like your shooter mags numbered to you gun, I will do this for a extra fee... but, no proofs, or letter suffixes, and, only in modern font ... so no chance of mis-representation ... I know some don't like the thought of this, but I can see no harm when the intent to defraud is not part of the equasion... Best to all, til....lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 02:39 AM   #10
MFC
User

I beleive Lugerdoc still has aftermarket Navy barrels and rear sights.
Unread 12-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #11
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,441 Times in 2,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFC View Post
I beleive Lugerdoc still has aftermarket Navy barrels and rear sights.
+ 1 on Tom's Navy barrel (see the other Navy thread below this one)...Welding up the slot and building up a "low" sight base to Navy height is possible, but I don't have the correct cutter to mill the new slot for the Luger sight...and I don't know the correct height...It would require re-machining afterward, and re-finishing...A lot of work, time, and $$$ when you can buy one ready-made from Tom...

(And no guarantee the finish will match, that it won't warp, that it will screw into your receiver timed correctly, etc)
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote