LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 12-17-2001, 04:32 PM   #1
Marvin
User

Default Waffenamt Stamp

Has anyone observed a Waffenamt Stamp, Eagle/623 stamped on the barrel of a Luger? In Walter's book "Luger" he does not this stamp, but with reservation as it's ever been stamped on a Luger barrel. He notes that possibly the barrel was made at Steyr Plant. I know that the inspector with the Eagle/623 was located at the Steyr Plant and stamped this on K98k rifles, some Hi-Power pistols, and holsters at a fabricator in Viennia.

I was piqued by this stamp on a Luger barrel as I have never seen or heard of this before. Could this be a stamp placed on a German Depot repaired pistol? I hope someone may know the answers.

Marvin

Unread 12-17-2001, 05:34 PM   #2
Uncle Mike
User

Default Re: Waffenamt Stamp

Hi Marvin, John Walter states that it may be a poorly struck '655' the Mauser code but has been reported as Steyr in the early 1940's and as you say on barrels.He dosen't seem to keen on the Steyr theory.Regards MC

Unread 12-17-2001, 05:45 PM   #3
Marvin
User

Mike,

You are correct he states it may be a poorly struck E/655, but I have seen this on a barrel this weekend and it definetly is an E/623. When I first saw it, I thought it must be an E/655. but when I used a magnifying glass, it is E/623. The barrel is a replacement and appears to have the same machinging as the 1942 Mauser barrels except the radius on the front site boss. The radius is "sharper" than the 1942 Mauser barrel. I am totally stumped on this. I wonder if the Luger could have been rebarreled at Steyr and checked by the inspector with the E/623 and approved for service? If it is a Mauser replacement barrel, I wonder why there is no "42" or "S/42" code? maybe it is a Mauser barrel and by 1941/42, they did not stamp a replacement code on the part. I appreciate your comments, and I hope others may have some knowledge of this.

Marvin

Unread 12-17-2001, 06:39 PM   #4
BCC

Hi Marvin, I have long been aware of Luger barrels bearing this Wa number. The two obvious explainations (although not necessarily correct!) is that the barrels were sub-contracted by Mauser (who generally states that it did not subcontract parts....but we know that they in fact did for K98k's at least) or that it is a period replacement made by Styer and maybe or maybe not actually installed there. I would say also look at the exact style and size of barrel serial number to see if Mauser dies were used, also did it bear the land dia. markings? Did the barrel bear a final firing proof? Sorry I really don't for sure the story on these but I find them interesting.

Unread 12-17-2001, 08:02 PM   #5
Thor
User

Default Re: Waffenamt Stamp-Eagle 623

Marvin, found this in a Luger book. This proof is listed as a "1940 MAUSER/STEYR Bavarian Werke barrel proof. MAUSER subcontracted to STEYR for Luger parts. The Number "623" is a STEYR Waffenment code. Note: Caution should be utilized if one discovers this proof, as only 3 are known to exist" The is a quote from the book and I would alert you to try and confirm if you have a forgery or the real deal. Does the marking have the "HALO" affect talked about before that indicates it was stamped after bluing? Interesting.....for sure! Good luck and let us know what the opinions are, I think this would be one that an expert might need to look at "in hand" to verify for sure, was the price reasonable? Thor

Unread 12-17-2001, 08:09 PM   #6
Marvin
User

BCC,

OK, I have answers to your questions as I did a complete examination of the pistol.

1. Mauser stamps appear to have been used. They are the same height and style as on the original frame.

2. The land diameter is not stamped on the barrel.

3. I could not find any final test proof on the barrel.

The Eagle/623 was stamped before the serial number was stamped on the barrel as the serial numbers just touch the bottom of the "623". To add a little more to the story, the receiver is a "42" stamped replacement part with the serial number stamped in the correct location, and the "42" is stamped in small numbers just in front of the serial number. The receiver is dated 1940.

This is an odd piece I have never seen or heard of before. From the inspectors stamps inside the frame, the frame appears to be a 1940 also. I am at a loss on this one and I appreciate all the help anyone can provide.

Marvin

Unread 12-17-2001, 08:13 PM   #7
Marvin
User

Default Re: Waffenamt Stamp-Eagle 623

Ted,

Thanks for the additional information! There are only 3 known to exist??? Hey, if this turns out to be correct, my friend will be very happy! I will have the pistol in hand tomorrow again and i will verify if the stamp was before or after bluing. I will keep this to myself until I get more information. Thanks for the help.

Marvin

Unread 12-17-2001, 08:25 PM   #8
SteveM
User

Similar to this?

SteveM

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Dsc00104.jpg
Unread 12-17-2001, 08:48 PM   #9
Marvin
User

Steve,

If memory serves me correct, yes, it does look like the photo you posted. One thing I do remember is that the "2" seems to be a little lower than the "6" and the "3". Where did you get the photo of the stamp? Is this a legitimate or bogus stamp? Thanks for posting the information and if you know more, please let me know. I will have the pistol early tomorrow morning and provide any answers to question. You guys are really great to help out like this.

Marvin

Unread 12-17-2001, 11:36 PM   #10
tom h

Default Re:Steyr made PO8 barrels

Marvin, I've probably had at least 6 of these E/623 inspected Steyr made armour's replacement barrels instock over the last 25 years. I've also had unused E/655 & E/63 spares and even one W/154 (G date) spare. Although, I've never seen one on a PO8 with test fire proof or with ORIGINAL serialization. Tom h

Unread 12-18-2001, 06:51 AM   #11
Marvin
User

Default Re:Steyr made PO8 barrels

Hello Tom,

This is the first one I have seen ever. I have also seem replacement barrels with the E/655 & E/63, but not the E/623. This one does not have any firing test proof on the barrel or the receiver and this seemed a little strange to me. The serial number stamps on the barrel do indeed match the numbers exactly on the frame.

If the barrel was the only part replaced, I would think it was a Waffenfabrik USA assembly, but since the receiver and barrel are replacements, I feel it may be a 100% German Depot rework. I know it is not impossible to get original number stamps, it does not seem logical that someone would have this set of stamps to make up something that would not bring a high dollar. The pistol is in approx. 95% condition with high edge wear and a little at the muzzle. There is wear on the front and rear gripstrap and the hump on the sideplate. From all appearances, the blue wear is consistant with being in a Luger holster.

I don't have any photos, but from my description do you think this pistol is correct? A tough question without seeing it I know. The reason for asking about this is that my friend wants to sell the pistol and he said I could have first option. When he first asked me to sell it for him, I thought it would be a standard 1940/42 pistol. I don't want to cheat him, but I do want to get it at a decent price. Assuming the pistol is correct, what would be a fair price to offer him and what would a retail price be?

Marvin

Unread 12-18-2001, 08:51 AM   #12
SteveM
User

Marvin,

This stamp is on a early C block Radom. It is a very small proof. That is why I couldn't get it any sharper resolution in the photo. It is a legit stamp..

Regards,

Steve

Unread 12-18-2001, 11:38 AM   #13
Marvin
User

Steve,

Thanks for the information. The one on the Luger is small also, but the numbers are fairly sharp. I will have to look at my Radoms and see if they have this stamp. Thanks again for posting the photo.

Marvin

Unread 12-18-2001, 07:47 PM   #14
BCC

For what it is worth, I feel the Luger is a period original. Maybe assembled somewhat like the KU Lugers. I don't know what the "market value" is and I guess with many collectors it is not collector worthy since it is not factory original (this one does not appear to have even been assembled in a factory!). Too my way of thinking is would be more desirable than a common 1940/42 type ...but I know that I'm not the norm.

Unread 12-19-2001, 10:58 AM   #15
Marvin
User

BCC,

Thanks for the response! I felt like the Luger was a period rework and not a Waffenamt USA piece. I have also talked with several other collectors and they feel that the value is about the same as a standard 1940/42. Since the pistol is in such great condition, I did buy it for under $800. I agree with you that since it is a little unusual, it may have a little more value than a standard 1940/42, but I feel I got a decent buy and the seller was not ripped off since he was a friend. I told my friend that if it was worth more I would pay him more, but it appears we now have a deal. I still want to do more searching on the Eagle/623, it is interesting!

If anyone on the Forum has more info on the E/623, please let me know.

Marvin

Unread 12-19-2001, 07:16 PM   #16
Uncle Mike
User

Default A Suggestion;Napca

Hi Marv,If your a member of NAPCA(National Automatic Pistol Collectors Ass.)why not write up a question that they will print in the magazine.If your not familiar with the Association this kind of stuff is right up their alley.Regardless keep us informed.Now you got me interested.Regards, MC.

Unread 12-19-2001, 07:45 PM   #17
Thor
User

Default Re: A Suggestion;Napca

I had sugguested that to him too MC! I am sure that will be done in next few months! Thor

Unread 12-20-2001, 07:50 AM   #18
Marvin
User

Default Re: A Suggestion;Napca

Mike,

Right On! I have started writing up a memo for the "Auto-Mag" to get more information. IT is amazing some of the resposes you get back from the membership. The only problem is the answers are a little slow in coming, but I still like the monthly newsletter that I can hold and read. Keep a lookout for the memo!

Marvin