LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 11-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
mystical_tutor
User

Default Siamese Art.

About a year ago I posted some questions here about my Thai (OK, I'm trained now--Siamese) Art luger.

I got a lot of good input and really appreciated it. The one thing requested was photos. The ones I have are very bad. Before I waste bandwidth could some of you give me some guidelines on taking pictures of these babies.

I have a digital camera, a Nikon P5100 and table tripods. Suggestions about background and lighting would be quite helpful.

Then I can ask the questions again but with more data for you to use.

Thanks in advance.

Major Gary Adkison (USA-RET).
mystical_tutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
dz
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I am able to get good, not great pictures with a run of the mill digital camera. The pictures are stored in 'my pictures' and I resize them to medium. Background is best with a neutral color, I use cream color. White is too much contract and never a bakground with a pattern. I always take pictures in the light of day with the camera set to use the flash if necessary and get as close as you can. Detail is very important. Not great info, but this works for me without a lot of messing around. I attached an example. I am sure there are far better photographers around then me. David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1937 004 (Medium).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	9419  

dz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
mystical_tutor
User

Well, Dave, if I can get that good of a picture I will be happy. Thanks about the background comment though. I have usualy used red and that may be part of my problem. Will give it a try after golf today.

Thanks.

Gary
mystical_tutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
Big Norm
RIP

Gary,
Zims advice is excellent and his pictures are excellent. But we cant always depend on good and consistent indirect, outdoor lighting being available. I have found from my observations that a light pink background worked the best. If you watch a salesman blend a brown paint, there will always be a certain amount of red added. This red brings out the browns and doesn't overpower the blacks, if blended properly.

Zim showed the great results that you can get from indirect lighting. No challenge from me on that one. Indirect lighting is absolutely essential for eliminating glare in the photography of Lugers. But a pink, not red, brings out the color of the luger and, especially, its brown grips. Zims light brown background lessens the glare of white but does not enhance the Luger. The indirect lighting is something that you, personally, will have to work on. Thats an individual thingy. But its very essential thingy.

Look at Gunbroker at a certain gundealer who shows a lot of Lugers for sale. I think that he is out of Virginia. He has all his Lugers with a red background. The red is overpowering and sort of screws up the black on his lugers by lessening the browns on the grips. But thats my opinion. So take it for what its worth. This is art.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
Big Norm
RIP

Gary,
Zims advice is excellent and his pictures are excellent. But we cant always depend on good and consistent indirect, outdoor lighting being available. I have found from my observations that a light pink background worked the best. If you watch a salesman blend a brown paint, there will always be a certain amount of red added. This red brings out the browns and doesn't overpower the blacks, if blended properly.

Zim showed the great results that you can get from indirect lighting. No challenge from me on that one. Indirect lighting is absolutely essential for eliminating glare in the photography of Lugers. But a pink, not red, brings out the color of the luger and, especially, its brown grips. The indirect lighting is something that you, personally, will have to work on. Thats an individual thingy. But its very essential thingy.

Look at Gunbroker at a certain gundealer who shows a lot of Lugers for sale. I think that he is out of Virginia. He has all his Lugers with a red background. The red is overpowering and sort of screws up the black on his lugers by lessening the browns on the grips. But thats my opinion. So take it for what its worth. This is art.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote