LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 10-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
woodguru
New User

Default Anyone seen or recall the most beautiful and valuable Luger ever made?

I was telling on another website about having my hands on what is most likely the prettiest and most valuable Luger ever made. It was listed for sale by Christies sometime in the late 70's early 80's at an expected price of over $750,000. It was suggested that I should check with this site to see if anyone knows of where pictures might be.<br>
<br>
The pistol was a longer barreled model with lots of engraving and gold initials that said from GL (Georg Luger) to ?H. It was in a beautiful Walnut presentation case with a Walnut stock in the case as well as clips and accessories. I was offered the pistol by my supervisor who had been in Germany or at least Europe while taking and occupying frontlines. He got it from a guy who was too scared of the German death warrant mentality for any soldier caught with German war souvenirs such as Lugers. He wanted $2500 for it. I told him I needed to get an idea of value before paying that kind of money so I took it to a large dealer in Shreveport that offered me $25,000 for it right off the bat. I told the Sarge about the offer and he sold it, without givng me a dime I might add.<br>
<br>
I saw it on the back page of I think it was Guns and Ammo six or seven years later. The ad listed the initials as being from Georg Luger given to I thought one of Hitler's top commanders (initials ?H). I was wondering if there are any pictures archived and available of this pistol. I have to wonder what that does to ownership provenance if Germany considers it to be their heritage and stolen by an occupation soldier whereby it went through a few dealer's hands to be sold for somewhere around a million bucks. it's easier to prove this chain of possession than a vague or trumped up chain of ownership that didn't exist (because I know different).<br>
<br>
Pictures would be appreciated if this pistol rings any bells with anyone here. This has to be the mother of all Lugers, it was beautiful and historic in a most profound manner coming from Luger himself as a gift.
woodguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
MFC
User

Keith,
Georg Luger died in 1923. Adolf Hitler was appointed chancellor in 1933.
Unread 10-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Drachenstein
User

Hindenburg comes to mind; Paul von Hindenburg.
Drachenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

There are many stories of presentation lugers, and of course there were; but VERY few of them.

Probably not Hindenburg, as the nazi's took power when he died...

So, prettiest and most value is all in the eye of the beholder.

I have seen the 45 luger at the Norton Gallery, and except for the slightly larger size of it comapred to a 9mm luger; it is the one I would want the most.

I would gladly take a presentation luger, but most I consider pure fantasy pieces, unless there is impeccible provinance. That means real provinance, not just a statement from the Vet....

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
Drachenstein
User

My point, Hindenburg was a Hero, Fieldmarshal, and had leverage in military procurement. It would have also been pre 1923 and more than likely they knew eachother. Georg Luger would have no knowledge of anything Nazi.
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,951 Times in 1,199 Posts

Add to that, that Luger wasn't up to much following the end of 1918. He lost his money during the crisis that followed the armistice, was kicked out of the company and spent his last years in court, sueing DWM.

Of course, this does not invalidate the possible existance of a presentation grade luger like the one that was reported. Fact was that getting a pistol prettied up wasn't particularly expensive and many a pistol was given the 'presentation treatment' for all sorts of reasons.

On the other hand, a GL monogram can also mean Gary Lineker, Gustav Lehmann, Georg Löwe, Gabriel Loewenstein, etc.., etc..., etc...
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
Drachenstein
User

Considering it sounds like an arty, no one has put a date on it, could very well be pre WWI. Lugers were the sidearms of choice with the officers. If it was presented from Luger himself it would have to of been early and to someone of significance. It was common practice back then to gift generals and politicians involved in procurement, or of influence.

At the close of WWII every soldier was looking for a souvenir. Many locals were selling anything including historical items for essentials. Did you know the FN1910 that started WWI came up missing from a museum in Austria shortly after the Americans occupied. Talk about a bringback worth some money, and they probably don’t know it?

Last edited by Drachenstein; 10-13-2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling