LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 02-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,627 Times in 999 Posts
Default Interesting subject.....

To all the old dogs on this forum..I'll bet if we have heard it once, we've heard it a thousand times..."My father left me..." I and my father were really close thru most of our lives... but not all... he had some great items of which I would have liked just one, where he would have handed it to me and said, son, this is yours, don't ever let it go... Never happened.. He was a product of the depression, and WW2... everything was about turning a buck... For lack of a better term, greed... I'll not make my kids wait.. If it has a bit of nostalgia to it, it will be their's... I recently lost a best friend to colon cancer, one of his best sayings concerning this issue was, "How do you want to be remembered?" ... "We are all just renting this stuff anyway!" You new collectors with the hand me down treasures... hang onto them... YOUR grandkids will appreciate it! As always, best to all, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

GT; I have thought about this too. Havn't specifically gotten anything from my dad (like guns), but he is a great guy. I got a Arisaka from my moms dad although he didn't bring it back, and a Model 95 that was my grandfather Tinkers; that has a neat story with it.

I've told my son that most of my collection will be sold before i go, but there are certain items that he will get (unless something happens and I'm outofhere unexpectadly )

That said, I have an excel document that lists everything and why I have it (from whom or if it is a family item).

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
apis mellifera
User

I'm lucky to come from a sentimental family. My dad has his grandfathers model 97 Winchester shotgun. My grandfather lives in his grandfathers house. Etc, etc. Everything of value was passed around through the family so I'll end up with some historical stuff eventually or as my dad says, "You can have this when I'm done with it." My first child, a boy, was born last October. I built a 1919A4 earlier this month and had his birth date engraved as the serial number. Assuming we're still here, it'll be his some day as will be my grandfather's Luger. Some of you may recall that last year my brother in law died in a car wreck (I listed his lathe for sale here). My wife and I were given his old Land Rover and you can bet that that's one old project she doesn't mind having around. So yes, think about making a good memory for your kids or grandkids before it's too late.

My sad tale is that my dad gave me a Colt Peacemaker for Christmas one year. In college I sold it and bought an engagement ring. I still have the wife I got in trade and I wouldn't part with her, but I'd surly pay to have that gun back.
apis mellifera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 04:28 AM   #4
Steinar
User

The 'problem' for me, is that they didn't see any value in old stuff as I do today.

I remember as a kid that my father tossed an old muzzle loader into a fire. A 300 year old school bench was cut in half and used outdoors until it fell apart. And cabin that dates back to late 1600's where modernized with electricity from a wind turbine and walls cut for large windows.. the story goes on. So very little was passed down to me.
My favorite inherited item is a beaten up Krag J�¸rgensen full of home made repairs. Both my grandfather and father shot incredible amounts of moose with it, not for fun of it, but the meat it provided the family.

When it comes to my collection of firearms, they are all registered and my daughter would have need a license to inherit them. So I'm 99% sure of that non of them will be handled down. They will be sold or deactivated/melted
But I try to keep other items for the future generations. Like a restored sailboat, two motorcycles and a car + some old stuff stacked away here and there.
..and almost forgot, I scanned all of my dias so that they will have them digitally and in a regular album
Unread 02-25-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
WG dog
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

My father never owned a firearm, as far as I know. He grew up on a farm, and used guns, but did not want to have any firearms in the house when he had kids, I guess. I'd love to have a .22 or some firearm from dad.

I do have a Hamilton railroad watch from dad, and his fishing stuff and some tools.

I have a few nice firearms to maybe pass on, but none of the next generation in the family seems to have any interest in guns. Even the young men, highly successful in professional and personal lives, seem not interested in self defense, hunting, history, weapons. Well, there's one nephew who might be interested, but I've probably seen him twice in the last twenty years.

If you go by a bookstore, there's a nice chapter in Black Ops by W.E.B. Griffin that any Lugerforum member would enjoy. Chapter is several pages, but the key page is 93 iirc.
WG dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Don't ever forget those daughters and granddaughters, there are several women experts on the NRA firearms and Smithsonian to follow as an example. As "guys" we tend to think towards the men and get those girls involved! They love history, so teach them history instead of the hunting and self defense aspects (that'll come along later)

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 02-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
Steinar
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
They love history, so teach them history instead of the hunting and self defense aspects (that'll come along later)
With respect.. I disagree
I see nothing 'wrong' with taking the daughter out hunting as a child.
Children don't seem to have much interest for history, not until they become teenagers.. but then it's a very good idea to teach them about the past.
Unread 02-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

I agree with you, just trying to get them out there (any kid) can be a challenge whether hunting, shooting etc. I met a man and wife with their 7 yr old and she was UP on guns, knew more than a lot of guys at the show . Very nice to see.

Ed