LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 12-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
pitsword
User

Default 29/70 magazine feed problem. Help please.

I have a new, 28 rds fired, 29/70 Mauser parabellum. I purchased it to use. The only other Luger I owned years ago was a 1917 DWM mixmaster that I never could get to function correctly.

The factory Mauser mags work fine. To save them, I purchased two new Mec-Gar Mags from Luger Doc, Tom Heller.
The new mags are not feeding properly, resulting in bolt riding over rear of cartridge and not feeding into chamber. I tried adding a thin amount of clp to mag follower to no avail. The mags feed just fine when I cycle the action by hand. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Pitsword
pitsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,988 Times in 1,205 Posts

Hi,

Mauser had lots of magazine, feeding and spring tension problems so you can expect the eary Mauser Parabellums to be a tad picky on their magazines and ammunition.

You may want to try a Swiss magazine instead, or buy a separate 1970s shooter magazine.
I have to say my 1972 Mauser Parabellum works relatively well with the MecGar magazines and the Swiss magazines. Curiously though, my original Mauser magazines that came with the gun always cause feeding issues

Another thing you'd want to look into is the magazine button space in the grip area. The right grip has a cut-out that will prevent the magazine button from sticking. If the cut-out is too narrow it could cause the button to stick somewhat, which results in the magazine follower riding too low in the frame for the toggle to strip a round. The former owner of my Parabellum had decided to varnish the grips, inside and out. The varnish caused the magazine button to stick, causing all kinds of weird feeding issues.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
Sieger
User

Hi:

Functionality with a Luger is, generally, all about its springs.

If your original mag is working properly, it sounds like your MecGar is too lightly sprung for the particular pistol.

Contact a member G.T. for assistance with your problem.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
pitsword
User

Hello Gerben and Sieger,
Thank you for the input. I do believe that it is a spring issue. The mag springs in the Mauser mags are substantially (a lot) stronger than the Mec-Gar springs. That's part of the reason that I cannot get the toggle to hold open after last round with the Mec-Gar mags.

The Mec-Gar mags seem to be a little looser in the mag well. Luckily my Mauser mags are ok. I will use them and get some wolff replacement springs. Do you know if the wolff springs will be stronger than the Mec-Gar?

Gerben, once again you are there with good advice. Thank you and Sieger thank you. This forum is the greatest. Best to all.
Pitsword
pitsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Pits, In my experience the spring in a new MG mag is plenty strong. It may be that these mags are locking up a bit higher than than the original Parabellum mags, causing more friction on the bolt traveling over them on recoil. I would check the lock-up height or try shooting a bit hotter ammo before going to the trouble of changing mag springs as repinning those plastic bottoms can be tricky and too strong a spring mag cause them to crack. Lugerdoc
Unread 12-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
Sieger
User

Pitsword:

Hot ammo will override a MecGar spring rather easily.

The ammo you are using may be too hot for the MecGar now.

What ammo are you using?

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote