LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 11-17-2001, 01:52 PM   #1
Jon
User

Default re : holster purchase advise , am i being picky

ladies and gentleman,i am seeking a matching holster for my early 1939 mauser luger( the pistol is 93 % +), the holster that came with the gun is well used with crazing on the flap and unfortuately dated 1941. I have been seaching for a dated 1939 holster and what I have found are holsters that are in worse shape than my 1941 . today I just receive several photos form a gentleman with a dated 1938 holster (which perhaps could go with my early 1939 pistol)the holster is throughly crazed on the front and the asking price is $175, I am i being extremely picky over the condition or are this the typicall condition for luger holsters on the market??

Is this price for a holster in this condition?

OR basically am I looking for a holster I will never find ?

please post a reply .your advice and input would be greatly appeciated.

thank-you jon

Unread 11-17-2001, 02:37 PM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts
Default Re: re : holster purchase advise , am i being picky

Jon,No you are not being picky. Hold out for what you want but remember condition equals price. Better means higher.

Keep an eye on E bay as many holsters such as you are looking for appear there under the general search of Luger. You can get a general idea of current values by searching past auctions on holsters. Good Luck! Jerry

Unread 11-17-2001, 02:42 PM   #3
Marvin
User

jon,

I don't think you are being too picky to want the best condition holster to match your Luger. Having not seen the photos of the 1938 (which would be appropriate for an early 1939 pistol) it is difficult to say if the price is fair. With the price of holster climbing rapidly, the $175 may not be bad. Only 1-2 years ago, $175 would buy an almost perfect holster, but today, it seems the perfect ones are selling in the range of approx. $350+.

If the holster is sound, a very light application of Pecards or Lexol may make it look better. One thing to remember is that the holster should appear a little more worn than the pistol due to the pistol being protected, and the holster open to the elements. Read the article on leather protection in the "Information" section of the Forum and that may give you more info on caring for a holster. Good luck on the decision!

Marvin

Unread 11-17-2001, 02:43 PM   #4
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Jon; there is a 1939 for sale on E-bay now!

Lonnie

Unread 11-17-2001, 05:06 PM   #5
Jon
User

hi marvin , the holster is heavly crazes with a toe repair at the base of the holster. pecards is not going to be a great deal of help. while i relize the holster is 50 + years old , i trying to get a good idea of the cost a good solid presentable holster for my mauser luger. many thanks jon

Unread 11-17-2001, 06:36 PM   #6
Marvin
User

jon,

With the additional information, I agree with you that I think I would pass on that one too! Take a look in the Links & Resources section of the Forum and look at the dealer "Checkpointcharlie". When you get to his website, look at the section with holsters. Charlie usually gives a decent description, but the way it is described it will not be any better.

Marvin

Unread 11-18-2001, 11:27 PM   #7
mlm

Be careful about the Pecards, oils, soaps and whatever folks say make a holster look better. I routinely pay $150-300 for scuffed, dry, cracked/crazed but unaltered holsters with sound stitching. The same holsters once treated are worth under $50 as most are grossly overtreated and the treatments are not reversible. Crazed is not a bad thing but the toe repair you mention is a value dropper. I have never paid over $30 for a luger holster with a tear or hole in the toe or mag pouch. There are too many sound holsters available to bother with the problem holsters.

Good luck in your search. This year has been a good one for holsters as I was able to obtain four mint WW2 German holsters. A buddy obtained an exc party leader 7.65 holster for $80. That is the buy of the year if not the decade! There are some good ones still out there if you put in the time to hunt them.

Unread 11-18-2001, 11:29 PM   #8
mlm

By the way, 1939 lugers were not mated to 1939 holsters unless by accident. They were put together without regard to date.

Unread 11-19-2001, 08:18 AM   #9
tom h

Default Re: 1939 PO8 holster

Jon, You might want to check with Hugh Clark to see if his recent acquisition from the Houston gun show is for sale.

Unread 11-21-2001, 03:14 PM   #10
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

I agree, and disagree. If we don"t take care of these holsters with Pecard as directed in the instructions, there won"t be many left in 100 years.

Lonnie