LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 06-02-2008, 10:04 AM   #1
larry
User

Default What happened?

What happened Navy Luger guys? Surely someone has more information to add about Navies, I hope.
larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Tom Armstrong has a new book on Navy Lugers in the works Larry... we are waiting with great anticipation for it's release... not much else new lately... no closet Navy Lugers coming out of the woodwork into the daylight...

How you been?

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
Navy
RIP

Larry,

What questions do you have? Subject to avail time I will attempt an answer.

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
LugerVern
User

Larry

I think collectors are just a little taken back buy the number of fakes that have appeared on the market. Darn good ones, some of them, and hard to spot.
Our European friends have been hit pretty hard lately too so you get this phobia about posting your guns for everyone to see.

I am tired of seeing the flashy new fakes too, I use to stop at the gun shows and look and them but now I don't even do that, they bore me.

I would really like to see some of the guns in members hands that maybe aren't so pristine but are absolute true Navy's. I can live with an occasionally miss matched part. I want to see real Navy's!

So post away guy & gals we want to see your Navy's!!

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
larry
User

Did anyone else notice that all of todayĆ¢??s Navy Luger posts so far are from Virginians. We should try to get together some time at a central location.

Back to the Navy Lugers. I agree Vern, I never had the money to even consider looking at the pristine lugers so always passed them up after a quick glance. I am afraid mine has seen much service and sometimes wish it could talk but there again I may not want to hear all of it's history. I guess it is just better to speculate.
Unread 06-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

All Virginians Larry, but not complete without George Anderson... surprising that he hasn't checked in to this thread... ?

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 06-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,528 Times in 787 Posts

I'm an Army man who long ago sold off all his Navies. Those that I had recently were just passing through.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 11:13 PM   #8
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I am retired Army too George and I don't own a "Navy" but I sure like 'em!

Unread 06-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #9
JoeP.08
User

Howdy Gents!

I guess I would be considered a "Northerner" so I thought I throw my two cents in. Navies are a breed of their own in "Luger World". Lots of "holy grail" mystic about them. First off, there's just not many of them out there! Second, they're the most popular Luger to fake, boost, buggar!

I started collecting Lugers seven years ago, with acquiring one from each era or type. Four years ago, I wanted a representative Navy so I found one on a very "popular" dealer site. It was a grip strap to the 1st Torpedo Div. Asked all the right questions, original finish?, import/export marked?, etc? Yes, No, and No. Had the pistol sent to me and first thing I did was field strip it and noticed the import mark on the rail of the upper receiver. Needless to say it went all down hill from there. Sent it back, fought, and got my money back. I have been friends with Gercollector for a while (we live in the same city) and he told my "tale of woe" to an advance collector friend of his. That advanced collector sold me his '06 grip strap which I posted on this forum several months ago.

I have a few more Navies in my collection now...

I've posted some of them here. One caused very good discussions, the others not so much..

Due to the fact that your presenting a supposedly "holy grail" piece, I would imagine there are collectors who are intimated about presenting their treasures for inspection. They may hear something they won't like.
Me.., I'll present it and see what happens...

I found out on Still's sight that a K/M marked tool I got from an advanced collector may be fake. Goes to show Luger U is never really out of session and can bite you any time for tuition! LOL!

Good Collecting!

Joe Pirolo
Unread 06-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
GerColctor
User

I saw the '06 Navy Luger that Joe P bought from this well know dealer. It was outragous that it was sold to him as a non import and when it arrived at his house within minutes we saw that it was clearly import stamped. He paid big bucks for that Luger and had quite a hassel trying to return it and get his full refund.

There is even a small cottage industry that adds "important/rare" unit marks to the rear grip straps in order to try and enhanse value. These are examples as to why some folks are very concerned in considering buying navies, as you can get burned real bad.

Bought mine from the sister of the vet who brought it home. Fairly common unit mark and a pretty well used pistol, but it is still a '06 Navy.
Joe
Unread 06-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #11
larry
User

Keep up the great discussions guys. It looks like the only thing needed was for some usually silent lurker to break the silence.
larry
Unread 06-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #12
larry
User

Tom A.,

Sorry for the delayed response but I don't have any questions, I just missed not seeing your discussions with the other guys that I have learned so much from.
larry
Unread 06-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #13
JoeP.08
User

Larry & Members:

Here's the Navies I've accumulated in the relatively short time I have been collecting Lugers. These span from Imperial to Third Reich and range from pristine to "not so pristine". I also collect P.04/LP.08/P.08 accessories and related militaria.

My wife knows all about it too.... She mentions, every now and then, about having a tag sale in the driveway (New England term for yard sale).

Hope she's joking........

Joe Pirolo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0995.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	2951  

Unread 06-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #14
larry
User

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeP.08
Larry & Members:

Here's the Navies I've accumalted in the relatively short time I have been collecting Lugers. These span from Imperial to Third Reich and range from pristine to "not so pristine". I also collect P.04/LP.08/P.08 accessories and related militaria.

My wife knows all about it too.... She mentions, every now and then, about having a tag sale in the driveway (New England term for yard sale).

Hope she's joking........

Joe Pirolo
Nice collection Joe. I just have one 08 Navy that has seen lots of service.