LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 01-26-2008, 11:45 PM   #1
barr44
User

Default Unusual Luger

I've run across, what I consider to be an unusual Luger and hope to find out more information here on the forum.
It looks to be a DWM commercial dated 1916 with all matching parts and the normal commercial proofs. It seems to be a commercial model, having the strawed trigger, take-down lever, and safety lever and has the crown/N proofs. It is 9mm and has a 4" barrel. It has the normal C/N proofs, but also has British proofs, but not military proofs. I suppose it could have been captured during WWI, being used by the military, but just not having military proofs on it.
What is confusing is that, I haven't been able to find any information, indicating that DWM made any commercial guns during this time frame to match the 1916 chamber date.
Any and all information would be appreciated, as I am looking at possibly buying this gun.
Thanks, barr44.
barr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Stu
User

All guns that ended up being sold, (at some point in time), on the English market had to be English proofed, that's probably how they ended up there.

Does it look as though any military proofs have been removed from the front right of the pistol ? Let's see what the experts says !
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
barr44
User

Default Miltary proofs

From what I could tell from examining the gun, there were no indications that any marks had been removed. Of course if the entire pistol was reworked and refinished there may not be any discernible evidence of the previous proofs. To my untrained eye, it looks to be a standard commercial type gun, with the British proofs.
Thanks for your thoughts, barr44
Unread 01-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,103 Times in 1,679 Posts

The configuration of the gun is unusual, having Crown/N proofs and a chamber date. Commercial Lugers were not dated. Posting pictures will be essential in sorting out what you have found.
Unread 01-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Barry,

DWM did manufacture commercial Lugers during the war, but they would not have a chamber date. There are a number of possibilities to explain the c/N. What are the markings on the barrel? What are the markings on the visible portion of the breechblock?

Will the seller permit you to take pictures and post them here?

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
barr44
User

Thanks for the replies. I couldn't determine any unusual marks, all of the numbers seemed to be correct, as did the proofs which where Crown/N. If the gun had been military marked, someone did a good job of removing the proofs. It seems that it had the British proof B.N.P. on the top or right side of the receiver. It also had the British proof on the underside of the barrel back near the receiver, the B.N.P. plus info on the tons and so forth of powder charge/muzzle energy, I'm not sure what all the info signified. I believe it has to do with the proof load.
I went back the next day to get a better look with a light, but the gun had already been sold. A friend of mine had seen the gun also and he thought it looked like it had been reworked and was probably somewhat questionable.
I appreciate everyone's insights, barr
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:18 AM   #7
Navy
RIP

One of the largest dealers in small arms, Interarmco, had fairly extensive storage facilities in England. They were also the largest importer of Lugers into the USA in the late 1950s and early 60s.

I believe that their may have been an English law that required guns that were "in commerce"-as storage in inventory would constitute being in commerce-to undergo BNP. If correct, this would probably account for about 95% of Lugers with BNP.

Tac, can you amplify/clarify/disabuse me on this?

tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
Navy
RIP

Tac,

Would that apply to inventories stored , but not necessarily intended to be sold, in the UK?

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

yes, I was curious about this too, as the "story" I have heard was that thousands of weapons were brought in after WW2 and "stored", thus why you see guns British Proofed"...
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote